ad: vanity

Kenwood TS-50s: Display is suddenly messed up, may have accidentally tried to tune w/ no antenna

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KE0VWZ, Aug 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KE0VWZ

KE0VWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

https://imgur.com/a/quXIsBm

I'm a new ham who just got his ticket in, June. I bought this TS-50S at a silent key auction and I was pretty excited to use it. I've slowly gathered supplies over the past several weeks and have been waiting on an HF antenna. It did not come with the original mic, so I ordered one online with the 4 quick access buttons.

Long story short, I've been very careful to not tx without an antenna or a dummy load attached but one thing I did NOT think of was pressing these quick buttons to see what they would do and the effect it would have on the transceiver. Silly mistakes aside, I'd imagine one of those was set to "tune" and I didn't have anything hooked up to "tune" at the time. That is my guess.

Well now, as you will or have seen in the album posted above, my TS-50 went from a normal operating rig to quite odd display characteristics and off menu options when running. It is generally not displaying anything correctly and when it does it can go wonky still when selecting various options.

I have tried both of the reset options with no success. In fact, one of the images, I believe is after a full "factory" reset.

I mean is this something reasonably able to be repaired? I cannot find anything like this issue I'm experiencing online and I've searched a bit but don't really have the knowledge to know what to search for. To the best of my knowledge up this point, the transceiver was in good working order and it may still very well be?

I am open to posting more pics, a telephone chat and or making videos too. I need some help from some of the more experienced in the community.

2. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Disconnect the antenna tuner. Do a full reset on the radio (A=B) it should come up at 14.000 USB. Check all of the buttons on the display for operation. If good turn it off, unplug power supply, and reconnect the AT50. Once connected turn on power supply and then turn on radio.

3. KE0VWZ

First things first, thank you for your reply, KA5IPF, Cliff.

I have 3 videos to kind of show what I'm seeing. Please excuse my verbiage on some of these, mhz to khz etc. What lead up to this: I may have inadvertently hit a pre-programmed button on the 4 quick button hand mic and after double checking, I may not have had the antenna tuner plugged in at the time but had the cable plugged in to the transceiver at the time of me pressing that button once or twice. So the antenna tuner cable was plugged into the radio but not into the tuner. Nothing crazy though but that's when I recall these display issues presented themselves.

#1 is powering on the transceiver with just the power supply after sitting without any power in the psu or to the radio for 24 hours. No tuner was connected. I also demonstrated the display characteristics I observed. I apologize for the sideways video but the information is still clear and concise. I did not go through the menu's either, if needed let me know. The menu items there are a bit wonky as well and hard to discern.

#2 is performing the factory reset and the display afterwards.

#3 is connecting the at-50 to the ts-50 and connecting power. Also showing the display afterwards and what I observed.

Let me know what you folks think. I've noticed the back-lighting is also non-existent, I don't think that ever worked when I bought it. Also if you have any questions or concerns, I will reply much quicker but wanted something a bit more useful to get more effective help for my problem.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  4. KA5IPF

Did you follow my directions?

ND6M likes this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I watched the videos twice, from what I could see it, looks normal to me

6. KK6VQK

KK6VQK Ham Member QRZ Page

it looks like some of the segments are partially on, right?

KE0VWZ likes this.
  7. KE0VWZ

Hi Cliff,

I'll put it all together in one video because while I thought I followed your directions exactly, I likely failed to re-test all of the buttons after the a=b factory reset before I plugged the tuner in. I will do that now.

8. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cliff's the man when it comes to Kenwood repair so follow all his instructions to the letter but FWIW I'd suspect a problem with the ribbon cable connecting the display PCB to the rest of the rig that leads to the funny display segments showing up. It's been a while since I owned a TS-50, but I do recall some ribbon cable connections up front and if one got a bit skewed in its connector you could see issues like you're seeing.

9. KA5IPF

With the tuner disconnected did the radio reset properly and the display show correctly? If the buttons don't work correctly then it's the SM electrolytic that has leaked. It can also cause the display bulbs to not work. On rare occasions it can mess with the display.

Leave the tuner disconnected until you get the radio working correctly. It also has a uPC and if the main or tuner glitches it can cause problems. Divide and conquer. Once the radio is working correctly try the tuner. There is a service bulletin about the tuner causing RF feedback and making the radio crazy.

KE0VWZ likes this.
  10. KE0VWZ

Hi Cliff,

I am very grateful for your time, so I've tried to save you a bit of time by showing your questions and my answers.
    1. With the tuner disconnected did the radio reset properly and the display show correctly?
      • Answer: The radio did complete the reset however the display did/does not show correctly, it remained the same. This was with the a/b reset and the a=b reset, done with the antenna tuner disconnected. The menu settings are also relatively scrambled as well, notably on say like #4's and #8's iirc.
      • [​IMG]
    2. If the buttons don't work correctly then it's the SM electrolytic that has leaked. It can also cause the display bulbs to not work. On rare occasions it can mess with the display.
      • Answer: I'm of the opinion that all of the buttons are able to fulfill their correct functions as designed, actually. Otherwise pushing said button would do nothing, correct?
      • *One thing to note, I switched power supplies to see if that made a difference and the display bulbs actually did completely light up, upon powering up the kenwood ps-30 which turned on the ts-50s, then slowly faded to nothing over the course of 2-3 seconds. I was able to replicate the display bulbs coming on by turning off the ps-30 and unplugging it for 15-20 minutes and plugging it in and turning it back on. It appears this completely reset the radio as the power went back up to 100w as well so the battery is likely shot too*
    3. Leave the tuner disconnected until you get the radio working correctly.
      • Answer: Tuner will remain disconnected.
    4. It also has a uPC and if the main or tuner glitches it can cause problems. Divide and conquer.
      • Answer: Is there a way to reset this or does it involve a complete replacement of the chip?
    Comments from Paul:
    I've read a lot of troubleshooting articles and watched dozens of videos, I've yet to see anything like what I'm seeing on this radio, display wise. I'm grateful for any help I can get.