Kenwood TS-50 not outputting RF on SSB

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NQ5D, Jun 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. NQ5D

NQ5D XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was recently gifted a Kenwood TS-50 radio from the 1990's, with the matching auto-tuner. Until now, my only HF rig has been a 1970's Ten-Tec Triton IV, so I'm excited to have a radio capable of doing more than 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters. Plus, Tigertronics makes a SignalLink that's compatible with the Kenwood, so I can try my hand at FT8 now.

The problem I have, is that the Kenwood is not outputting any RF on SSB. When I key the mic and speak, the RF meter doesn't register anything at all. It is putting out RF while in CW mode, AM mode and FM mode - just not on SSB.

I thought it may be a problem with the auto-tuner, so I hooked it up to my MFJ-949E, and still am having the same problem.

I looked through the operation manual, but none of the suggestions in the "Troubleshooting" section helped. I thought I may have one of the "Settings" wrong, but I've pressed every button on the radio with no success.

I'd appreciate any tips, or the contact info for a reliable technician if all else fails.

Thanks and 73,
    Steve
    NQ5D

2. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you listened to it with another receiver while speaking when in AM/FM? Do you hear audio? If not try another, known good, mic.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bad mic perhaps?

WG7X likes this.
  4. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Turn your mic gain up.