ad: QSKLLC-1

Kenwood TS-480sat discontinued?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KJ7AMU, Sep 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is surely a sign of the End Times.

N7UJU and K6CLS like this.
  2. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I picked up a used 480SAT a month ago. I really like it... a lot. It's smooth sounding, and although it's going to have more difficulty in a contest with lots of close-in signals, it's a great portable radio, due to it's better-than-most-these-days antenna tuner. I swear I'm able to tune antennas that are 5 to 1 whereas my other radios are lucky to match antennas that are more than 3 to 1 SWR.

This radio is more analogue, and sounds smooth. It's not harsh on the ears with long-term use, like my 7300 was.

For general hunt-and-peck SSB signals, I find the performance is stellar. It is right up there with the FTDX3000 on RX of SSB, if you zip through the RX profiles in the radio. The FTDX3000 only bests it once you start digging into the menus and tweaking a lot with contour, carrier, shift, width, etc. I like that I can just flip through the 5 (guessing) profiles and pop the signal without much fuss.

I added the voice module to mine, and it was an easy install, after watching the Youtube video.

The 480SAT is not a good digital radio choice, as additions you need (TCXO stability chip and external box for digital modes) make it more expensive than better radios.

NL7W likes this.
  3. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It wasn't too difficult or expensive for me to hook up an external sound card to do digital modes. After several years of running digital, I didn't know I needed the TCXO. Why do I need the TCXO? Maybe I should stop until I get one?

WD4IGX likes this.
  4. KE0EYJ

Good for you.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Possibly for the TS-480, that is!:eek::rolleyes:

6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Overall, I liked my TS-480SAT. It was a very effective rig for most communications.

Where it failed me, sad to say, was during contests when I’d have trouble separating close, strong signals (even with the 500 Hz CW filter installed). As I was very active in many of the major contests at the time, this was critical.

I also had a front-end overload issue with it. WQ3T lives around the corner from me (almost literally, I can walk the dog past his home). He used to have a dipole over his roof, and he operated 40 CW a lot. If he was on 40 CW, and he often was many evenings, I couldn’t be (on the band) with the 480, he just wiped the band out. If I switched over to my Corsair II, I could get within 2 or 3 kc of his operating frequency without a problem.

I wouldn’t mind having another one. But not as my primary operating rig.

WD4IGX likes this.
  7. KE0EYJ

You didn't have the optional SSB filter installed?

My 480 handles city noise better than my 7300 did. I can hear better on 40m with it. I do not need the 1.8 SSB filter. Would like a 2.0 filter, if they had it.

I just use mine on outings, and do not have it paired with an expensive yagia. I am not at all a contest fan. I had fun with contests for a while, but anymore the logging and hams coming out of the woodwork who never seem to answer at other times of the year, make me less interested in contacting them. I gravitate toward 17m, at those times.

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, no. I’m primarily a CW operator these days, have been for some time.

And I too don’t care for the “standard” narrow 1.8 kHz SSB filters, regardless of the rig.

I don’t have a yagi either. All verticals here, though technically my 160 antenna could be considered an Inverted L.

9. KE0EYJ

I know from past experience with other filters that I probably wouldn't like a 1.8 filter, as well. I change rigs often, so I will probably sell it and get another rig next year. A 590SG is on the list one day. Wouldn't be as portable as this guy, though.

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I use my TS480 portable. Every time I get it out, I remember what a great rig it is. Out of production? I don't care, just ask my Galaxy III, IC-735, and multiple FT-847s!!