Kenwood TS-480sat discontinued?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KJ7AMU, Sep 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ7AMU

KJ7AMU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've looked hard at the TS-590sg, gets good reviews and well equipped right out of the box, decisions decisions oh my!

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd DEFINITELY go with the TS-590S(G), even with the price difference. The TS-480 series and TS-570 were released about the same time, so are now 15-20 year old technology. The TS-480 was designed for mobile use, so there are some trade-offs. If nothing else, the TS-590 series will be supported for a number of years; the TS-480 maybe for three or four years longer support from Kenwood at the most.

NL7W likes this.
  3. KJ7AMU

The TS-590SG is such a highly rated rig, seems to be a rig that gets the job done and so many people are so satisfied with their purchase of this radio. It's not so much about the price as it is about the experience and enjoyment of the hobby, and it takes good equipment to get that. That's why the decision for my first HF rig is so important to me.
    So, if this is my first radio then the most important decision is not made yet, my antenna system has to build first, so for me I'm starting from the roof and working my way to the shack. What a great learning experience and fun this has turned into.

WD4IGX and WZ7U like this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't "know for sure" but it's still shown in the Kenwood web site:
    https://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/amateur/ts-480sat/

5. KJ7AMU

Yea I seen that, HRO has the ts-480sat on their discontinued products page also.

6. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My 480SAT still going strong after nearly 20 years of use. Still in my 4WD and has been a reliable radio on my far outback trips.

One of the best ham radios I have ever owned.

7. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had a couple of them and they are nice radios. I kinda hope this means they are coming out with a refresh or new mobile-ready HF radio.

8. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought this radio was very innovative when it came out. It's still a great performer. I can't believe they have held at relatively the same price for all this time. I haven't owned one in quite a few years, but when I did own it, I really enjoyed it.

I took this photo at Hamvention in 2003. Look at the car!

IM002685.JPG

9. KJ7AMU

Looks like all the bands are covered in that car! Must be a hamobile.

10. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

480 is an awesome radio, not my first pick if buying new because it is on its way out due to age. Now if I could get a clearance price, I would buy it...