ad: ProAudio-1

Kenwood TS-480sat discontinued?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KJ7AMU, Sep 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KJ7AMU

KJ7AMU Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at Gigaparts site for a new radio, shows the TS-480sat as a discontinued model, anybody know for sure?

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Check with Kenwood to be sure.

AES (RIP) claimed I got the last of the TS-570S(G) in 2004, but apparently OTHER suppliers had them for at lest a few years longer.

3. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They're the only ones that have listed it that way. Interesting.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  4. KJ7AMU

I just sent kenwood an email, we'll see what they say.

W4RAV likes this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope not. It was a nice little rig. Didn’t care for the way the control (front) panel connected to it’s stand, and it could be a little underwhelming with front-end overload when there was a nearby station transmitting, but it was cute.

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. KJ7AMU

This would be my first HF rig, I want to be sure I get one that will be supported for a few years.

7. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

TBH, I'd buy something newer. It was a nice radio 20 years ago.

KK5JY, K4AGO and KA4DPO like this.
  8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you like the TS-480, buy it. Even if it is discontinued today, it will probably be supported for 5-7 years. Most hams never have radio failures until many years down the road, either trading, or reaching a point where new radios are vastly improved and the old radio is not worth repairing.

KU3X likes this.
  9. KJ7AMU

I already have the kenwood TM-D710G, really like it, easy to operate, the TS-480sat would look good next to it in the shack, will be interesting to see if Kenwood responds to my email.

10. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

I used a ts480sat for use on holiday for some years. I had the optional SSB and CW filters in mine & it did the job for me.

As for the rig being old, well if they are still for sale, they must still be selling. So it must still be holding its own in the modern world, and after all this time any bugs should have been ironed out long since.

When you factor in the cost of the optional filters (which I reckon are essential) then if your rig is only going to be used in the shack maybe a ts590 might be a better idea.

NL7W, KA0HCP and KA4DPO like this.