Kenwood TS-480HX with little Tarheel II

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by K6VOR, Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6VOR

K6VOR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been using a Kenwood TS-480HX and the Hustler radiators on a two foot mast attached to a 3/8 x 24 mount on the trunk lid of a Civic. It didn't take long to get tired of being limited to the bandwidth of the Hustler or changing radiators while on a stop, so I went to a Little Tarheel II. The Kenwood HX is a 200 watt version and the P.E.P. limit to the Tarheel is 200 watts. I can't find any info (no have not called Tarheel) on a continious power level the Little Tarheel II can accept. At this time I have just turned downed the power on the 480. I wanted to put this out and see if anyone has been operating this setup and had any trouble using the full 200 watts from the 480HX. Yes, the grounding is good and I am getting 50 ohm matches at 1.2 to 1.7 swr across all the bands, so the power is getting to the antenna.

K6VOR

2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The 480 HX will output 200 watts PEP on voice peaks (SSB). I wouldn't anticipate any problem running the HX full power into that antenna on SSB. A constant 200 watt carrier would be a different story

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.