ad: Schulman-1

Kenwood TS-2000 problem

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KC4UMO, Apr 26, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just make sure the thing-a-magig is in parrallel with the do-hickey and feeding the +- leg of the whatchamacallit.

3. N9OZF

N9OZF Ham Member QRZ Page

My TS2000 had a long time dying. First, I noticed the fan going on and off for no reason. ( no transmitting for a long time or not at all ). Few weeks later the radio turned on by itself and sometimes turned off without pushing the power button. I decided to replace the battery ( clock battery ) and try a factory reset. But by that time I could no longer turn on the radio to perform the reset. Now the rig is nothing but an expensive brick. Anybody any pointer? 73 N9OZF

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you replace the battery ?

5. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

The battery in the TS-2000 has nothing to do with the operation of the radio. It saves the packet settings for the TNC and nothing else. It can actually be removed without affecting the operation if you never use the built-in TNC.

KA9JLM likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering if while replacing the battery, Something got messed up.

7. N9OZF

N9OZF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes the battery is only for the set-up data memory, but because I opened up the case to investigate, I changed it anyway. ( 19 years it has been sitting there ) Downloaded all the drawings and next week start testing. Once I figure out the cause of the problem, I'll post the result. Because of the slowly deterioration, I suspect a cap going short.