Kenwood TS-2000 problem

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KC4UMO, Apr 26, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont worry about the hijack. Fire away. This is good info to know.

I have seen a lot of this in the past year myself. So many fake parts you just dont know what you may get.

2. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Righto I'll try my best, here goes.

As normal I went to Eleflow UK site to order, no problem in the past - ever! But not this time, they only accepted Pay Pal, except the Pay Pal account is not valid... so what dy'a do get one to Eleflow USA, who then put me in touch with a couple of guys in the UK so I ordered and I got - so far so good.

They arrived but looked rather different and they wouldn't fit!!!! About 1mm too wide, my thumb caught the print and off it came, the tabs and legs looked too shiny for my liking and their legs thinner than than the others soooo I got on to Eleflow USA to inquire.

Righto they said, send us a photo of them, so I took a photo with the transistors on the receipt card with their batch number written on the card, I also added the original faulty transistors for comparison - no answer from Eleflow.

I contacted them 3 times and still no answer so much so I give up! The transistors may well be genuine but I dare not risk them in another persons 'pride possession', do it properly or not at all is my attitude.

They may well be genuine, but reading about all the fakes that are knocking about they sure do fit the bill with the looks of the counterfeit ones. They remain in their packets unused.

I must say I would have expected better attention from Eleflow.... try ordering from their UK site

http://www.eleflow.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d23.html

You get
    Why haven't they done something their UK web site?????

Sorry Buddy, I just don't like changing and twisting other folks threads.

Dave

3. KC4UMO

No problem at all Dave.
    Information such as this needs to be known.
    I purchased 25 IFR520's from ebay a while back. They were fake also. I contacted the seller and he refunded my money no questions asked. Got lucky. The first give a way was the printing. These style transistors are hard to read. At least for my eyes. The 25 I got were very bright while. And like yours the writing rubbed off just by touching.

Don't know what is up with the folks at Eleflow. Sorry to here you got taken.

4. G4COE

@KC4UMO
    Not saying I have been taken - yet? Certainly not happy in them requesting a photo and hearing nothing in spite of me sending 3 Emails after.

One of the guys recommended by Eleflow had a Ebay site. What I have said here I have also said to Eleflow USA I told them more than three times, I sent the two guys there the same Email at the same time..... what does that tell you if one out of two couldn't be bothered to reply?

Buying 'silicon' of Ebay is risky, very risky, that goes for a certain large internet company. I usually got them from Nikko Electronics in the UK, they're are ideal for all 'hard to get' parts, now they had some 2SC1971/2 in stock but they wouldn't sell me any because they wasn't sure if they were genuine, this is were I got my supply of those transistors from prior to learning about Eleflow UK.... that's when they used debit cards and answered Emails or telephone calls.

For the time being I'll steer well clear of Eleflow, if they can't be bothered to answer Email's they can't be bothered to take orders.... sound's about right to me.

Edit:
    What you could do is break one open and compare the die from a known or blown original one.

Dave

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  5. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used transistors from Eleflow and although they were copies/clones they did work, sorta. The 2SC1972's that I got were larger, that's the first giveaway that they are not originals. The HFE was all over the chart and they had to be matched. I ran low on stock and ordered some more and specified <50HFE and that's what they sent. The first 4 I put in shorted. I requested a refund and on their direction mailed the remaining transistors back to them. They said they never arrived, no refund. I was talking to a friend who has access to a lot of fancy equipment used in semiconductor mfg. He had problems with the Eleflow also and took several (1972's) to work and x-rayed them. He said the die was abt 1/4th the size of the OEM transistors and that's why they were having problems.

I no longer repair 2000's with driver problems. No parts I can rely on.

6. KW4EK

KW4EK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen several sources saying that NTE-343 (datasheet) is a drop in replacement for 2SC1972, and they are still available (though not cheap at ~$50ea).

I don't know if that helps you all out, or not.

7. G4COE

@KA5IPF
    Thanks for the heads up. It did appear strange their previous ones I had was a direct drop in and worked straight off.

I understand from a repair source you have to add a 2.2R resistor in series with the base of the drivers to dampen the gain on high HFE units... but you shouldn't have to do that nor go 'filing and chippin', as i call it.

When I get sick of looking the packet that was slung in the 'slinging corner' (a corner of the workbench or place where all the stuff is slung) I may just break one open to compare the die. Why the change I ask.... maybe a batch problem I dunno, the previous tranny's from Eleflow I used worked just right.

To Ethan
    I am aware of the NTE-343, pretty sure Mouser does them. Now a whole different kettle of fish if I had a rig that used these transistors, I could play around until the cows come home... just that I was brought up that radios and tellies were someones pride and joy... no marks, no finger prints and no bodge ups, I can well understand Cliff not wanting touch them for that very reason I guess, once repaired you want it stayed repaired.

You do a good job folks will talk, you do a bad job folks will talk even more..... that is lacking in many departments today not just electronics, 'getting it working any old way' is not the way to go.... you'll find doing a good job is far better and cheaper than adverts and redoing all the ones that bounce.

Dave

8. KC4UMO

Been spending the past 2 days searching for C5125 transistor. Ebay China nd Hongkong has "refurbished" ones. Possible fakes. I do not like the way they look.
    The 2sc2782 is said to be a replacement at $49.95 each at RF Parts:
    http://www.rfparts.com/2sc2782.html

My 2sc1972's checked out good so dont have to replace them.
    The C5125 has a base collector short.

Attached Files:

9. G4COE

You didn't say how you checked, be aware the DC blocking cap. on the collectors could have gone s/c, putting DC on the base.

Dave

10. KC4UMO

I checked the parts in circuit with the bases lifted. Had a dead short on the right hand transistor. Removed both and checked out of circuit. Same results.