ad: KF7PMW-1

Kenwood TM-V7A memory loss

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VK5IR, Jun 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK5IR

VK5IR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all

I've had a Kenwood TM-V7A for probably 5-6 years which I bought second hand and it's been a good little rig however recently it started losing its memory channels and settings after being powered off. It basically resets itself. After doing some research online I came to realise that its a common issue for this model but has anyone actually been able to fix it?

I've tried the usual soft/hard resets which has not fixed the problem. And before anyone asks if I have tried changing the memory battery, apparently this rig stores it's data on an EPROM and has no internal battery.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who can tell me how I can fix this.

Many thanks & 73
    Theo
    VK5IR

2. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Replace the EEPROM. It has a limited life cycle count and APRS just basically wears it out.

3. VK5IR

Thanks but there is no APRS in this model.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Same for any radio. The eeprom has limited writes.

Also Chirp can screw the radio up. Have you used chirp for programming ?

Did you update the firmware ?

5. VK5IR

Yes, several times without an issue but not recently.

6. KA9JLM

You may want to do a full reset. Then put a few frequencies in memory by hand, And see if it does the same.

Try to reset it using the hardware reset button behind the head. Push it for 3 seconds.

Good Luck.

7. VK5IR

I have tried all of this quite a few times but it hasn't held for long. It's not only the memory channels that are lost but it also loses its settings.

8. KA9JLM

I think Clif is correct.
    That radio is EOL. Maybe the super cap is bad.

Good Luck.

9. VK5IR

So assuming I had a replacement EEPROM, would it be as simply as taking the old one out and putting the new one in? Or does it need to be programmed or something first?

10. VK5IR

Hi all

Just an update on this.

So I have noticed that the radio in fact does not lose it memory channels however it is losing all other settings.

As soon as I turn the radio off at the power switch (or cut the power at the PSU) and turn it back on straight away, the radio will go back into VFO mode and I have to set up the speaker beep volume again (because the default is quite loud), put it back into memory mode etc... So I am doubting it could be the EEPROM...?

Any ideas?