ad: TinyPaddle-1

Kenwood TM-V71A Initial Setup and Programming

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Oct 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're looking for a mobile 2m/440 radio that is not only durable and looks good, but is also easy to operate then check out the Kenwood TM-V71A. I picked this radio up for my ham shack and to eventually use in a "Go Box." In this video I will show you some basic setup options and how to program a 2m repeater.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2017
    K9BBQ, W5KV, K5JM and 3 others like this.
  2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the video! Thumbs-up.

I've only owned mine for a couple years, but it's served me well. It's part of my e-comms kit. I use and recommend the RTSystems cable/software KRS-V71.

Attached Files:

3. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

You're.

W9AT, N8QIO and KC8TMW like this.
  4. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

ped·ant
    ˈpednt/
    noun
    noun: pedant; plural noun: pedants
    a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.

N4GKS and WJ6F like this.
  5. KQ6XA

If you're prone to making errors in writing, use your spell-checker or auto-correct :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  6. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Next time you think YOU'RE perfect try walking on water. Must be sad being you since all you seem to offer is unneeded or unwanted English advice.

N9NY likes this.
  7. KD0YTE

KD0YTE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Disregarding the your and you're problem. The tm-v71a is a pleasure to operate. It's my dual bander of choice because of ease of operation. Nice video.

N0TRK, K5JM, K2NCC and 1 other person like this.
  8. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you so much for taking the time to watch! I am now thinking of getting a second TM-V71A. I also have a TM-D710A, but my wife took that one for her car. The TM-V71A is one of the easiest radios I have used.

K5JM likes this.
  9. KM4EIB

KM4EIB Ham Member QRZ Page

You are using "you're" correctly. It is replacing "you are". KQ6XA is wrong even in Georgia!

W7LDG and WJ6F like this.
  10. KA3TJI

KA3TJI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great choice of radios! I have three of them and they are probably the best feature rich and rugged radios on the market. I even have one on my motorcycle. Glad you put the video together.

[​IMG]

N9NY, AL7A, WJ6F and 2 others like this.
  11. K5JM

K5JM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! I've never seen a v71 in a motorcycle set up ..very cool. Love my Kenwood v71 and agree it's a well thought out and easy to use dual band rig.

I wish Kenwood would have tweaked a couple things ..like the CW ID for crossbanding. It will ID but it alternates between the UHF and VHF side every 10 mins regardless of usage or if the frequency is already busy. Most people don't want to hear your cw ID over the repeater ..d'oh! (Especially if you've been idle and are just listening.)
    The "lockband" mode of crossbanding is also nice for when you can hear the repeater on your HT but just need a little help on your transmit to get out.

The EchoLink function is also pretty cool as well as the menu function navigation.

I recently aquired a yaesu ft 8900R to compare against the V71. While having quad bands is nice..there isn't any 6m or 10m repeater activity in these parts. The yaesu's internal speaker rattles and sounds tinny. Volume knobs are super sensitive and overall doesn't seem as intuitive as the V71.

Also the 8900's fan runs continuously in the crossband mode even on low power and continues indefinitely despite lack of further RF activity afterwards. After the first key up the fan comes on and stays on until you take it out of crossband mode. This is happening in a 70 degree climate controlled shack. Kind of bizarre if that's yaesu's intentional programming. Although the fan does function as needed during normally radio usage and shuts off when things cool down. Apparently this crossbanding condition is a known issue for some of these radios. There is a thread somewhere about it and yaesu's vague response to a ham who inquired.

So with all that said ..it makes me appreciate the V71 even more. I'd agree that the RT systems software is worth it. The kenwood free software isn't bad though.

Great video !

Sam
    K5JM

K2NCC likes this.
  12. KQ6XA

KM4EIB, you're late to the party :)
    Here's what you missed:
    The article originally said "your".
    They corrected the article to "you're" after I posted the humorous spelling-grammar lesson.​

KD9LTQ likes this.
  13. KA3TJI

KA3TJI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. The V71a is probably the only radio robust enough to withstand a motorcycle install, though I think many would do fine. Before I got my first V71a I suffered with a defective 8900 and 4 trips back to Yaesu repair center. The V71a is night and day better build quality. Glad I got rid of the 8900!

Here's a thread that shows my complete install on the motorcycle.

Any other motorcyclists here?

WJ6F and K2NCC like this.
  14. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video! First time I have seen one on a motorcycle!

15. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope to use more of the crossband feature, but some of the repeater owners around me get upset when someone uses their radio's crossband feature. I have yet to use EchoLink on this radio.
    I have a number of Yaesu radios and several of them have had to be repaired for one reason or another. Thankfully the Yaesu Service Center is only a 20 minute drive from me.
    However, while I have only had this TM-V71A a few weeks I have had an TM-D710A for many years, and neither have had a single issue requiring a trip tho Kenwood. There is most likely going to be another purchase of a TM-V71A, unless I am lucky and find a good TM-D710A for sale.

K5JM likes this.