Kenwood TM-G707A Freezes screen, shuts down periodically

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by WA4ZYN, Nov 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WA4ZYN

WA4ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello. Well, the title says it: I have a 15-year-old Kenwood TM-G707A that has been totally reliable all these years in my car. Now, periodically, it will suddenly, unpredictably freeze the screen, with no audio for a few seconds, then shuts down. I can immediately re-power up and it will be fine until its next shutdown. Has anyone seen this? Yes, I have tried soft reset and hard reset to no avail. Any suggestions? Is it just at the end of its life?

Tnx and 73!
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    francis WA4ZYN

2. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

If the head is remotely mounted look at the cable routing. Sounds like RF?

3. WA4ZYN

Thank you, Mr. Clif. Yes, it is remotely-mounted. I had not thought of RF. I haven't changed the cable routing all this time I have had the radio in this car (7 years); what might have changed? Also, would RF get into it even in receive mode? I will check on it and try re-routing the cable.

Thank you again! Happy Thanksgiving.
    Francis WA4ZYN

4. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

If it's doing it in rx check the cable ends and jacks.

5. WA4ZYN

Will do! Tnx!
    Francis WA4ZYN

6. WA4ZYN

I re-routed the cable as suggested. Will give the radio a few days to see if any improvement.

Tnx agn.
    Francis WA4ZYN

7. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

It may be that disconnecting and reconnecting the cables on both ends will break up some oxidation. Are the connectors gold plated and spring loaded? Working them a bit, gently, may be all that's needed.
    Rob

8. WA4ZYN

Disconnecting/reconnecting/cleaning/re-routing all tried. . .the G707A still shuts down periodically. I it out of the car tonight and put my Yaesu in its place. I will do some detailed checking out of the Kenwood once I get my shack put back together (just moved again). If successful with it, I will update the thread.

Thanks, everyone!
    Francis WA4ZYN