Kenwood TM-D710 tied to the computer

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by AI6F, Dec 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AI6F

AI6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm hoping to tap into the vast amount of wisdom and knowledge here on the forms.

My mobile setup consists of a Trimble Crosscheck XR plugged into the Kenwood TM-D710 via the GPS plug and then using the data port on the back of the control head I'm plugged onto the serial port of an old Itronix GoBook. I have the radio TNC set to APRS.

My goal was to see if the radio would pass the GPS info through the head to the computer. I am using Hyperterminal to see what "comes out". The information it passed starts $PKWDPOS with a string attached that does include Lat/Lon.

What I'm wondering is shouldn't I be able to get more "information" out of the radio. I was looking at some of the APRS software and it appears to be able to gather a fair amount of information (station list, messages, location, etc), in theory that information should be viewable on the computer in some format.

Does anyone have some thoughts about this?

Thanks

2. KB8YVC

KB8YVC Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AC2VK

AC2VK Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AI6F

AI6F Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AI6F

AI6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, Well that does give me a few ideas and some setting to check. Also, W2APRD looks kind of fun to play with.