Kenwood TM-D710 GPS Questions

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VE3MAT, Jul 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. VE3MAT

VE3MAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

I have a Kenwood TM-D710GA (with the built-in GPS) in my car. Due to the physical location of the control head (my 2013 Ford Escape doesn't leave me a lot of mounting options), it doesn't always see the GPS satellites so I was thinking of connecting an external GPS.

Before I start buying things, I was hoping to find out a few things...

1. Can I connect a GPS receiver to the DATA port on the back of the RF deck, or does it have to connect to the GPS port on the control head? This would be the best option for me if it'll work (any particular GPS model recommendations would be appreciated too).

2. Are there any GPS receivers other than the Garmin Nuvi 350 that will work to display stations on a map? Would that GPS plug into the GPS port on the control head or does it need to connect to the RF deck?

My ideal setup would be to connect a GPS receiver to the DATA port on the RF deck and a Nuvi 350 (or similar) to the GPS port to show other station positions.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

73s, de VE3MAT

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where do you have it mounted? I have my TMD710A with a Greenlight Labs GPS on the control head, which is mounted on a stalk attached to a seat mounting bolt on the driver's seat. I was worried about it working there, but works fine - it can see the windshield from where it is. This is the one I have -
    https://www.gigaparts.com/lido-prod...-DWJWfTYf957mjtme2n2AzCsO0Yfb83MaAowgEALw_wcB

I think the trick with displaying the APRS data on a GPS depends on whether or not the GPS can accept serial data. Most of them can't. I had a Magellan GPS years ago that worked for this - it was fairly useful. Another answer is to use a PC of some sort with APRS software installed.

3. VE3MAT

VE3MAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi K0RGR, thanks for the reply. It's mounted on a mount attached to the passenger seat. It normally works but sometimes when there is a passenger occupying my passenger seat, it loses the ability to see the GPS satellites. My primary goal is to connect an external GPS receiver so that it will always see the satellites. I've also got a Motorola XPR 5550 in the car too, and it's got an external GPS antenna attached to it, so my main question is can I connect a (separate) GPS antenna/receiver to the DATA port on my TM-D710, or does it have to connect to the GPS port?