Kenwood TL 922 help needed

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WD8BWW, May 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

If you know the spec on the meter movement it should be a pretty easy matter to test it with an adjustable bench dc supply.

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Power
    I test meters all the time with ohm meter. I start at a high ohm scale and work down. Eventually I get down to a scale that will read the internal resistance without slamming the meter. I tap the probes quickly to see what the reaction is. Compare reading to actual internal resistance to verify meter is good. If I calculated correctly the meter should have an internal resistance of about 500 ohms.

N2EY likes this.
  3. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

update: I received the zener yesterday and installed it and the resistors today. I'm still running the one old tube. Also running lower power until i get thing "right". At 10 watts it is putting out ~100-110 watt on 20m and 10m. I stopped there because I'm getting no current indication on the plate current meter ( the meter that was pegging). So it appears the worry about the meter being damaged were founded.

4. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The 1 ohm plate shunt meter must be open

5. WD8BWW

however it pegged when the 1 ohm 5 watt resistor was open. i was hoping the 1.5k resistor that burnt saved the meter. more digging to come.

6. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you isolate the meter by removing the wires and test the meter with an ohm meter? If you do that and the meter does not respond by the meter moving then it is open. If the meter is open its gone. I have clone replacement Ip meters for the 922 if yours is bad.

7. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WD8BWW

Thanks OM.. ill dig in deep on this and if the meter is bad i'll likely be taking you up on your meter.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You did not pull the plug quick enough. :oops:

Smoke signals are hard to copy sometimes. Especially when a fan is running.

10. WD8BWW

this is a repair for a customer who bought a "fully functional estate find".