Kenwood TK-690/790 Dual band issue

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KK6YDB, Oct 10, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KK6YDB

KK6YDB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all, I need help with my dual band Kenwood tk-690/790, I cannot get it to read or write to the radio, I keep having issues with getting it to turn on properly Im at a loss and do not know what to do. I need help please.

2. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

does your computer see your cable when you plug it in? if a pc, there should be some "beeping", and activity in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, when you start the software, are you selecting the right "com port"? the computer assigns a "com port" to the cable, are you selecting the correct one in the software? they must match

3. N6FOG

N6FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

1: Is there a yellow wire coming from either of the decks or the control head? This might be an "ignition sense" wire that needs to be hooked up to B+ to allow the radio to turn on before you can turn the ignition sense off in the software.
    2: Are you using a USB or Serial cable, and have you selected the correct COM port in the software?
    3: Are you wired directly to the battery, or to a heavy gauge wire that is hooked directly to the battery? This would ensure that you're getting the full voltage to the radio.

WB7OXP likes this.
  4. KK6YDB

KK6YDB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using the kenwood usb cable, it’s not the knockoff brand and I know it works. I took the radios apart and used them as separate radios and they work and read and write fine seperately. It does have a yellow wire attached and I have it fused at 3 amps to an ignition wire. They are not tied to a battery, I drive an old police fleet vehicle and there is a small 6 port fuse block under the dash(3 hot and 3 ignition) I have them wired to this. I have a fuse block setup in the engine area meant for my radio setups but I wanted to plug them in real quick to test them and ran into that problem.