Kenwood TH-F6A - How long has it been around?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N6EG, Mar 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. N6EG

N6EG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi folks,

Does anyone remember the month and year when Kenwood released the TH-F6A? I remember buying mine when they first came out. At the time I was using a Kenwood TH-G71 (?) and when the F6 came out with the 220Mhz band and wide-band receive I knew I had to get one. It's been a great radio ever since. I think mine has seen better days though and probably time to get a new one.

Ed

2. K2SOG

K2SOG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't have the month but the year was 2001

3. N6EG

N6EG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks K2SOG,

It's about 15 years then. Not too bad.

Ed

4. K1PGV

K1PGV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And still a nice-looking, and reasonably well performing, radio.

Not fancy, but functional.

Peter
    K1PGV

5. W1ND

W1ND Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, I bought mine the first few days of release from HRO. I am still using the same battery pack too. It is 2020 and I am looking at the TH-D74 because of APRS (never used), D-Stars (never used), and the awesome general coverage receive that I have used a lot on my TH-F6a. I can say I don't use the F6a all that much, I am on HF pretty much all the time. But I have carted that HT around on hike after hike, it takes a beating. Based on what I *think* I paid for it back in 2001, the sale price on the D74 is right in the same ballpark. At 19 years per HT, I might only need one more.

Previous HT was an ICOM something or other and another Kenwood D-Something, prior to the F6a.

And yes, I resurrected this thread.

6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

dont use mine much,too hard to see and use buttons and not much rep activity. i put rubber grommets on the little knobs. that helps a lot.
    they are hard now! its a nice rig...

the d74 looks nice and better to see. since im a ht junkie i might just add it to my rarely used collection of ht's, i think about 7..!
    stop me b4 i buy again...

7. W1ND

W1ND Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was me this morning, I had the F6a out to look through the menus and it took me quite a while of staring before I gave up and grabbed my glasses before I could actually see anything. I’ve been laid up now for 8 weeks tomorrow, my eyes have gone downhill without mixing up my view.