Kenwood TH-D74E on D-STAR - having serious trouble connecting

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by GW3JVB, Mar 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. GW3JVB

GW3JVB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Evening All

So, I have myself a nice new Kenwood TH-D74E, and it's all working well except for the fact I am unable to get myself onto D-STAR with it. Simplex U/VHF all working OK, I can also connect to my usual analogue repeaters, but am having some serious issues (and fun) trying to get onto D-STAR.

The radio is pre-loaded with all the D-STAR nodes around the world, and I have found my local one (Cwmbran, UK WB6AB and have been working with some of the admins of that node today in trying to get myself onto it. I am registered with D-STAR.

To summarise, I am able to Rx all conversations, but not to Tx.

My log in to D-STAR can be seen on dstarsusers.org at the time, so it appears I am getting in but am not getting through when I Tx. The admins of WB6AB have confirmed I am getting in, but no Tx is heard so this leads me to think I am doing something incorrectly operationally.

Are there any Kenwood D74 users out there who may be able lend a helping hand please and point me in the right direction please.

2. N8SAN

N8SAN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not 100% sure how it works for overseas registration, but for state side my registration shows as this...
    upload_2020-3-28_17-21-20.png

For yours...
    upload_2020-3-28_17-22-2.png

Doesn't seem quite right to me.
    Might want to start/check with the registration site manager you used.

Make sure your call sign is entered properly into the radio as well.
    Notice my registration and Activated call match, you have space and A on one of your lines. Maybe something there too.

I don't have that specific radio. But it looks REALLY nice!
    When I was first messing around with D star, I was able to open the repeater but had a tough time linking I could talk through it, but my signal wasn't quite strong enough on the rubber ducky to properly send the coded signal to link or unlink or whatever D star specific function I wanted to do.
    I can receive no problem. Once connecting to an external I was totally fine.

Just a thought.
    Ryan

3. GW3JVB

Many thanks Ryan!

I managed to get this resolved thankfully. It appears to have been a user error on my part, d'oh! There's a section in the TH-D74 where I need to 'use reflector' which I hadn't set. None of the instructional videos I had watched mentioned this - though I guess it should have been apparent, alas for a noob to D-STAR it wasn't!

In any event, I am now fully operational and functional on D-STAR, but thanks for your reply.

Rgds
    John

N8SAN likes this.
  4. N8SAN

N8SAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly I was gonna bring that up....thought about it later. ...glad you got it running. D star is pretty fun.

GW3JVB likes this.
  5. GW3JVB

Yep - enjoying it very much now that I a up and running.

Whilst you're here... :) Do you know anything about DMR? I have an anytone 878UVplus and am trying to locate a codeplug and then load it up - with zero joy thus far. Any pointers?