Kenwood TH-D74A Time Keeps Changing with GPS on

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K2VUD, Oct 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K2VUD

K2VUD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I recently purchased a Kenwood TH-D74A radio. It's working very well, except that I keep having to reset the time, as it seems to be setting the clock back one hour when the GPS function is turned on. I assume it is getting time data from the GPS, but I do not see a way to modify the settings so that the time shift does not occur.

Has anyone seen this behavior before and know how to fix it?

Thanks!

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

hi, my D74 doesn't understand about time zones and Daylight Saving Time. I adjust the time offset manually several times a year. Can you double check that yours is set correctly? look in menu 9 5 0.

K2VUD likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to move to the proper time zone. :D:p

Good Luck.

K2VUD likes this.
  4. K2VUD

K2VUD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! I suspected that may be the problem. I guess I am just used to having devices automatically adjust themselves. Will need to update again on 11/3!

5. K6CLS

Ok great, glad it was simple.

We have a lot of devices that don't know time zones. Two cars, thermostat, half dozen radios, my HP calculator, stove clock, microwave clock, lamp timers... It goes on.

For a while I tried putting all my radios on UTC. They all read the same be time, but I never knew what time it really is around here.

DST change is my least favorite time of year. At least we get to sleep in this time!!

But I don't have any good ideas to get around DST.

6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of my co-workers is always suggesting that we should all switch to using only UTC for all civilian time purposes, year-round, worldwide. That would solve some problems, while creating others. No more International Date Line!

My friend who makes this suggestion lives just outside of London.

7. K6CLS

All of China has one time zone, too.

AG6QR likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be nice if they split it 1/2 hour and leave it be. :)