Kenwood TH-D74A for satellite work?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by WD9EWK, Oct 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. OH8FKS

OH8FKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't own a TH-D74 and one of the main features I need is the possibility of compensating the Doppler shift using Gpredict. Since I haven't found too much information yet, I don't want to risk buying it yet. So it would be very helpful if anybody here has tried or has the possibility to test it. Thank you!

K3RLD likes this.
  2. WB4PNE

WB4PNE Ham Member QRZ Page

I was told that the TH-D74A has been upgraded and now does cross band full duplex? True?

3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

False.

The TH-D74 still isn't capable of full-duplex operation, not even with the latest firmware.

WB4PNE likes this.
  5. OH8FKS

OH8FKS Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it's not full-duplex. I bought it a couple of months ago and been using it as RX coupled with an FT-817 for TX to have full-duplex. It works flawlessly (also Gpredict via Bluetooth).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    WB4PNE and WD9EWK like this.
  6. WB4PNE

WB4PNE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks all for the prompt replies! Reinforces my belief of trust, but verify!

WD9EWK likes this.
  7. WD9EWK

Bad news...

On 24 December, Kenwood announced that the TH-D74 would be discontinued. From Kenwood's web site, translated from Japanese...

TH-D74_discontinued-20201224.jpg

Even though the TH-D74 isn't capable of full-duplex operation, many satellite operators have them. This is not good, especially with Kenwood recently ending production of the TH-D72.

8. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

It had a good run....

9. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

@WD9EWK

Ugh that’s terrible news, both higher end Kenwood HT’s gone. With the increased interest in satellites it would be a real loss if a replacement is not on the horizon.

10. WD9EWK

Not just higher-end HTs, but Kenwood's only multi-band HTs. This is a gap in their amateur product line, small as it is already.

I haven't heard if Kenwood has a replacement multi-band HT in the works. I haven't seen anything new from Kenwood in the FCC equipment authorization database that would look like one. For now, I have a TH-D7, TH-D72, and TH-D74 here at home - and I'm holding onto them...

73!

KC3RN and WE4B like this.