ad: tbdxc-1

Kenwood TH-D74A for satellite work?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by WD9EWK, Oct 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Patrick, I'm not Windows 10 savvy but will be able to figure it out. I have installed the program and hope the radio gets back before my trial ends. As a backup I can use the keypad since you have graciously provided the settings.

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

For Windows systems, you can access the microSD card in the radio over a USB cable. Make sure to put the USB interface into Mass Storage mode (MENU > Configuration > USB Function > Mass Storage). The other setting at this point in the menu tree (MENU > Configuration > USB Function > COM+AF/IF Output) is required when using the MCP-D74 program and the ARCP-D74 program.

There's no guarantee that the microSD card in the TH-D74 can be accessed by a non-Windows PC through the radio. Most Linux systems aren't able to access the microSD card through the radio, but somehow I have a radio and microSD card (32Gb PNY) that is accessible on my Linux (Fedora 29) laptop. Mac systems... try it with Mass Storage enabled, and see if it works on your system. Otherwise, you can always remove the microSD card from the radio and put it into a card reader on a computer to work with the files on the card.

Good luck, and 73!

N4DJC likes this.
  3. N4DJC

Patrick since I have installed the D74 software and have Windows 10 up and running I think I will be fine. My radio did have the update by the way. I suppose I'm going to have to buy Windows and Parallels. I have no use for them other than radio applications.

4. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, much software for our radios runs in Windows. I like Linux, but have a Win7 laptop and Win10 tablet here with some of the software I use. Older radios are usually OK with CHIRP, and that's a cross-platform option. Kenwood has expressed no interest in making its software available for anything other than Windows PCs. Oh well...

73!

N4DJC likes this.
  5. AA0CW

AA0CW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HRO have these on sale so I got one yesterday, going to try the ISS packet. This should be fun.

KC1OCA and N4DJC like this.
  6. N4DJC

The D74 is an ideal radio for ISS APRS. I just have to be faster sending messages to other stations. The Elk antenna made all the difference getting into the digipeater.

WD9EWK likes this.
  7. OH8FKS

OH8FKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Anybody here with experience in connecting TH-D74 (preferably via Bluetooth) to Gpredict (via hamlib/ rigctld) and/or SatPC32?

I have an FT-817 for satellite portable half-duplex and I’m thinking of getting a TH-D74 to monitor the downlink. It’d be great if I could compensate the Doppler shift using Gpredict.

73, Raffa OH8FKS

8. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

D74 doesn't appear to be on the supported radios list. Not sure how often that is updated, though.

9. OH8FKS

OH8FKS Ham Member QRZ Page

K3RLD likes this.
  10. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, that's good news then. If you use the "daily build" option, you should get that option! Please let us know if it works out for you.