Kenwood TH D74

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W8PTZ, Nov 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KC0SIQ

KC0SIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone had problems getting the APRS to work? After programming the radio, setting the APRS to B band, entering call sign and making sure all other settings are correct it refuses to show up on APRS.FI. I'm getting a response from a local digi after a beacon, but again nothing. The GPS symbol constantly flashes, which supposedly means it's positioning, however in looking at [F] Mark - I have 8 satellites in green level, I see all my lat/long, speed, altitude. I've followed various youtube posts outlining how to set up aprs on the D74.

After all of that frustration, I reset the radio and put in the basic APRS settings in again and still no luck. Anyone else have something similar and if so, how did you fix it?

V 1.05 Firmware

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there any gateways near you? Without a gateway, your packets won't make it to aprs.fi or other sites.

Put your city/state or grid locator into aprs.fi, and see what has made it to a gateway from your area.Your QRZ entry has a grid locator, based on your license's address.

73!

3. N3HPX

N3HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My TH-D74 has died. All I did was to leave it on all night. After putting it on charge, it no longer turns on. Any clues?

4. WD9EWK

Can you plug the wall-wart into the radio and power it on? With and without the battery on the back of the radio? Do you have another battery pack, or the AAA battery case, for the D74? You should be able to power the radio from the wall-wart, as long as you don't try transmitting (not enough current from the wall-wart for that, maybe even at EL power levels).

Otherwise, you might need to consult with the dealer where you bought the radio, or Kenwood USA, for service.

5. DD0UL

DD0UL Ham Member QRZ Page

Moin,

does anyone know the dimensions of the DC connector for the 12Volt? I do not want to spend 15 Euros on a piece of cable with fuses.

Thanks and 73 de dd0ul, Micha

6. K0EN

K0EN Ham Member QRZ Page

Patrick,
    I don't see any reply from N3HPX, but in the case of my dead TH-D74A, with or without the battery attached, it will not power up with external DC.
    73 de Ken

7. WD9EWK

Unless there's an issue with your external power supply and/or cable, the radio probably need to go in for service then.

8. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Old thread, but I see some recent activity. I picked up a TH-D74 ordered on Black Friday of this year and it arrived with version 1.06 firmware installed.

9. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

See the other thread in the technical section "Radio Circuits, Repair and performance" for my clues about 'dead' Kenwood HTs. The title of that thread includes D74 and folks looking for technical specifications on chargers should consider things such as: 1. Is the coaxial 'jack' to which the plug is connected separated from the circuit board inside the radio? 2. Is the charger DC correctly polarized and at the correct voltage in a loaded state? 3. Is the battery itself dead, or just 'playing dead' because the charger voltage is inappropriate ( in the case of some new equipment, did the charger send a coded signal? )? 4. Has the battery been 'load tested', meaning does it really have the ability to put out some current ( close to what it should based on milliampere-hour ratings ) or not?
    It seems to me that Portable radios do not have a separate section, but given that they are also sometimes "mobile radios", this might be off-track to what the original post intended- yet "working different modes" would probably fit better for APRS and D-Star issues. 73

10. W6SFG

W6SFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone figure out how to use the Undocumented Echolink features, memories, DTMF?
    How does one use the echolink Memories to access Echolink nodes?