Kenwood TH D74

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KG5FIF, Nov 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KG5FIF

KG5FIF Ham Member QRZ Page

I am starting this forum for those interested in or have a Kenwood TH D74 to see if we can pass on lessons learned. I have had problems with D-Star

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you updated the firmware to the latest release, version 1.04? Updates have helped with D-Star, especially the most-recent release.

http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/thd74_update_e.html

Make sure you've installed the virtual COM port driver on your PC before running the firmware updater.

I have written a bunch about my TH-D74A in the Satellite and Space Forum on this web site. Although this radio seems to be a combination of what was in the TH-F6A (tri-bander including 222 MHz, all-mode receiver) and TH-D72A (packet/APRS, GPS), along with the D-Star functionality like you have with Icom's ID-51 HTs, it has one disappointment for satellite operations. Unlike the previous TH-D7 and TH-D72 HTs, the TH-D74 is not capable of receiving on one band while simultaaneiously transmitting on another band. This was part of the older HTs for Kenwood's SkyCommand system, used to remotely operate radios like a TS-2000, but Kenwood left it out of the TH-D74. Other than that, the TH-D74 improves on functionality found in the older radios.

73!

3. KC6STH

KC6STH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm interested in a forum on the TH-D74.

Phil KC6STH

4. W1ADV

W1ADV Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone gotten "APRS Voice", menu item 575, to do anything?

5. WD9EWK

Yes.

When APRS Voice is On, the radio reads the call sign for the sender of an APRS message received by your radio. If the call sign has an SSID, it does not say anything for the dash, just the characters of the call sign followed by the digit(s) of the SSID. If the APRS message text starts with a % (percent sign), the radio will also read out the message, character by character. I found the answer on the Kenwood_TH-D74 Yahoo! group (have to join the group to access the link below):

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/kenwood_th-d74/conversations/messages/288

and verified it by sending an APRS message from my TH-D72A to my TH-D74A. IMO not very useful to me, so I'll leave it off.

On the other hand, Kenwood released v1.05 firmware in late December:

http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/thd74_update_e.html

73!

6. W1ADV

Hm. I'm running 1.05 on a new radio, and I'm receiving lots of APRS messages, but hearing no announcement other than the beep (I have it set to beep on 'all new'). I can't find any 'conflicting' settings (tried to turn my incoming filters off, one line vs full screen notification, everything...)... volume is all the way up... Hm.

I'll join the yahoo group, thanks. Can't view the thread w/o it.

7. W1ADV

Do they have to be messages addressed to you? Or do you get position reports as well?

8. WD9EWK

It read messages sent to my call sign and group messages (I tried "ALL" as the destination, for the test message I sent from my TH-D72A, and my TH-D74A read the call sign on my TH-D72A when it received the message). It did not read out anything related to the positions of other stations. Again, still not very useful for me.

As for beeps, I turned them off as well. Even when I drive away from the main population centers in Arizona, I'm still hearing a fair bit of APRS traffic. Mountaintop APRS digipeaters, all over the state...

73!

9. W1ADV

Bizarre. Not getting that here.

I've got position filter set up so I only get beeps from mobile stations within 10mi :).
    Although its neat that with the APRS integration I just wrote, I can get notified of local stations even without my radio on!

10. WD9EWK

I turn off that filter for the maximum distance for other stations. I use my HTs to work stations through digipeaters on the ISS and other satellites, and there are times the other stations I'll see/hear are up to 1500 or 2000 miles away. The other stations can be fixed, mobile, whatever. Even if I use one of these HTs in my car when driving, I don't want to go through and change all those settings whenever I go between terrestrial APRS activity and APRS via satellite.

73!