ad: UR5CDX-1

Kenwood th d74 and a smiley antenna or replace with the IC705?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KO4ESA, Mar 13, 2021.

?

Which radio for camping and vacation use?

1. Ic705

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Ft991a

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

Soon I will go to take my Extra class test. I started on this journey in 2020 the year of rona. Bought the kenwood th d74 and took the technician license test June 2020.
    I did get a few baofeng radios just to play with when in the woods. Our area doesn’t have that great of a signal to transmit. So I switched out antennas ,replacing the baofeng antennas with smiley dual band antennas. The kenwood th d74 ,I put a smiley triband antenna on.
    It made a world of difference. But now I’m considering getting the IC705 and using it when camping and on vacation. Ft991a has been one I’ve also thought about.
    What say you ,my mentors of ham radio wisdom? Thank you. 73

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at only those two radios, I would base my decision on how much supply power you are willing to carry around with you.
    If you don't mind carrying at least a 14 ah battery and running around 50 watts to save current drain on the battery, I'd get the FT991A. I won't
    call it a user friendly radio for the new comer, but it does a great job. To keep current drain at a minimum so you don't have to have such a heavy
    battery to carry around, then the IC705 may be a better choice.
    BUT......if I were you, I'd try to find someone that enjoys and operates QRP before you get a low power radio for your first radio. QRP is not for everybody. I love QRP but I also run legal limit from time to time.

Do your homework first. Don't let a few bucks burn a hole in your pocket.
    Barry, KU3X/QRP

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Fine radios, both. The 705 came out looking really good in the recent QST review. Of the two, I'd go with the 705 for hiking/camping/portable ops. If/when more power is desired, adding an amp is easy. Amps are pretty easy to build from kits, or even plans, and I'd likely go that route, and have basically done similar in the past (way before the 705 and 991 were around). For field-expedient antenna versatility, I'd add a tuner of some sort. If not restricted to those two, I'd go with an Elecraft KX2 or KX3 with their internal wide range ATUs.

4. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I voted for the 991A.

The 705 is a great radio, but I wouldn't be happy with QRP.