Kenwood TH-D72A vs. Anytone AT-D878UV

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by WA2ZQX, Oct 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA2ZQX

WA2ZQX Ham Member QRZ Page

For Satellite portable/field Ops., I was going to purchase a TH-D72A...Based on owning a Kenwood HT previously. Then I noticed a bunch of videos promoting the AT-D878UV. It looks like any ham who ever produced quality YouTube-videos, received a free radio from Bridgecom to promote and make videos about it...Tremendous publicity campaign by Bridgetone both on their websight and from ham radio video-producers. $$$-wise---Such a Deal??? But, experience makes me gun-shy of Made-in-China HT's, having owned a Baofeng-HT before. Your comments would be appreciated. Thank You-Lowell

2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I can’t comment on the Chinese radio but if you’ve owned a Kenwood before now, you know their quality and value (including resale value). I’m not sure any Chinese radio can have that kind of value. However, I totally understand that sometimes based on one’s budget that often times it is necessary to get something that will get the job done, regardless of of future resale value.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you. 73!

3. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an AT-878UV. It is a decent DMR HT, but I do not use it on satellites. It has APRS functionality, but it is only able to squawk your location. It does not have the functionality to show other stations it hears, nor can it process APRS messages. I suppose I could use it to work satellites, but - in my (unpaid) opinion - it isn't the best choice for satellite work. It could be a good option as one radio for a two-radio FM satellite station.

The TH-D72A is a decent performer for FM and packet satellites, including 1200bps digipeaters on 145.825 MHz that both the ISS and NO-84 carry, along with the 9600bps cross-band digipeater - up on 2m, down on 70cm - on FalconSat-3. It does cost more than the AnyTone HT, but it is still an excellent option for FM and packet satellites even after being on the market for 10 years. I have links to information on using the TH-D72A for satellite work on my QRZ page.

73!

WE4B likes this.
  4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought the TH-D72A a few weeks ago, primarily for satellite work. I was very hesitant, because of the price. My XYL actually talked me into it, and I'm glad she did. No regrets. It's a proven performer, and just works.

WE4B, WD9EWK and WA4SCA like this.
  5. WA2ZQX

Thank you ...I went with the Kenwood based on owning a TH-K20A in the past.

WE4B likes this.
  6. WA2ZQX

Wow...MNI TNX...Your posted QRZ page-info is GRRRRRRRATE and appreciate your HT comments. Went Kenwood...previously had a TH-K20A.

WE4B and WD9EWK like this.
  7. WA2ZQX

Thank you...My XYL was talking me into it too!

KC3RN likes this.