Kenwood TH-78A No Power Up

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N2HTL, May 5, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2HTL

N2HTL Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys,
    I'm really hoping I can get some assistance with this because I really love the TH-78. I picked it up from a retired ham friend who's unable to operate any longer. Because of this, I don't know the radio's history - meaning if it ever had problems before. Outside of having to fix the BNC connector on the case since it wiggled itself loose, the radio had been performing perfectly until last week when it seemed to be turning itself on and off very quickly at random intervals. I was using a speaker mic with the radio and I thought that perhaps something strange was happening with the power connection if I accidentally pulled a little to hard on the mic when using the radio in my car. When the random on/off thing started happening more frequently, I thought perhaps I didn't have the battery pack inserted up far enough although it was locking in place. Today, I went to go use the radio and it won't power up at all. I checked the NiCd pack, the pack I have with AA alkaline batteries in it, and 12 volts directly in and nothing is working. It's dead, Jim.

I tried looking through the service manual but I'm not seeing anything like a "power lock" function or any type of component that could be acting like a fuse. Once thing I did check was the internal battery to hold the memory functions. I thought the battery was supposed to be 3 volts but it's checking at 2.1 volts. I'm not sure if this would have anything to do with the fact the radio won't power up, but I'm really hoping someone can point me in the right direction on how to bring the radio around. It's so much better than my Yaesu VX-7r that I would hate for it to be a brick.

Many thanks.

Aaron - N2HTL

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is 2.1 volts it should be replaced.

Good Luck on your project.