ad: elecraft

Kenwood TH-215A schematic needed

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W9VIV, Mar 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W9VIV

W9VIV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all, does anyone know where I can find a schematic for my old Kenwood TH-215A 2m handheld radio? I decided to fire it up today, and the audio output is very low. Thanks!

2. W1NB

W1NB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here you go.

Attached Files:

W9VIV likes this.
  3. W9VIV

Thank you so much!! I could not find it online anywhere! I really like this old radio and would like to replace the old electrolytics and see if that will help.

W1NB likes this.
  4. KO8S

KO8S Ham Member QRZ Page

I just fired up my old Kenwood TH-215a for the first time in years, replaced the memory battery, and I too, have low audio. Curious, were you able to fix yours? 73, Karl, KO8S

5. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Bookmark the following website. They have OM and SM on about anything made;

www.mods.dk

6. W9VIV

My Kenwood TH-215a is sitting on the end table in the family room waiting for me to open it up!

Both kids are finally in college and out of the house and I have some free time! Thanks for reminding me to get with the program and spend some time on this, because this is my favorite 2m HT of all time. Easy to use and rugged.

I looked at the schematic and found that on the IF unit board, C37 ,C38, both 10V 100uF, and C44, 50V 1uF, are the first electrolytic capacitors I would change as they are the audio coupling caps out of and into the audio amp. Then if that doesn't help, I'll go after all the bypass caps around the audio amp.

7. KI4ZNV

KI4ZNV Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't have an ESR meter see if you can borrow one from somebody; they are amazingly handy when working on gear of this era. Not that just swapping out all electrolytics with modern 105C types isn't a great idea; it will certainly save you grief in the future.
    --scott