Kenwood T/R relay

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W4MCK, May 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4MCK

W4MCK Ham Member QRZ Page

I just acquired a Kenwood TS820S, but it needs a T/R relay. Can they be found and where? Thanks for any info.

2. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

They are great radios. I use one for my main station radio--operating on 20 meter SSB.

Norm

TS 820S.jpg

PU2OZT and KK4NSF like this.
  3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

If it as a specific Kenwood part you seek: talk to Paul Jahnke of Jahnke Electronics. I've dealt with him a number of times and he is the Kenwood Man as far as i'm concerned

Norm- I like your "all Kenwood station". it is similar to my TS-440 set-up.... except mine is computer controlled via an IBM-5150 DOS computer... with a genuine Green Screen monitor. I don't have an SM220, though. I've been looking for one for a few months now.

4. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

In order to use the SM 220 as a panadaptor for the TS 820, one needs the BS-8 pan display module installed in the unit. For TS 520 pan display, the module is the BS-5. My unit came with the correct display module which was entirely a stroke of luck. I had been prepared to try and find the module separately. The pan display only shows either a 20KHz or a 100KHz segment of the band. You identify a signal that appears to be moving with the voice of the talker and then move that signal to the center line of the screen. It really works pretty well. It is nothing like a modern radio, but still useful.

Norm

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member QRZ Page

There are two 4PDT 12V plugin relays in the TS-820/TS-820S.

1. RL-11, RL-12, RL-13, and RL-14 main switching control relay located below and in the middle of the chassis on the RELAY board.

2. RL-1, RL-2, RL-3, and RL4 controls switch the meter, the Xverter, RX/TX antenna, and an external amplifier's RELAY.
    This relay is located below the chassis inside the small metal enclosure next to the final amplifier tube sockets.

Which one do you need?

Contact Walter Diller on his website here:

https://kd7dny.com/about/

Walter has a lot of Kenwood hybrid parts.

Mike W5RKL
    https://www.w5rkl.com

W4MCK likes this.
  6. WA9D

WA9D Ham Member QRZ Page

7. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad news.

Ken Kemski, K4EAA, passed away on April 27, 2020. Barb, his wife, has said for the foreseeable future, she will try to keep the parts business going.

Mike W5RKL
    https://www.w5rkl.com

KD2ACO likes this.
  8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike,
    Thank you for passing this information along.
    Ken was instrumental in providing service and hard-to-find parts 20 years ago, when he started.
    35 years ago, I sold my original Kenwood KB-1 weighed aluminum knob.
    Fortunately, Ken offered (for a limited time) replacements that he had machined and finished like originals.

gb

N7BDY and KD2ACO like this.
  9. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ken will be missed by many.

He was super nice to me when I started with my first transceiver which turned out beautifully with his help in sourcing parts, timely hints, critical information, and beautifully printed and readable schematics.

That’s sad news indeed.

VK6APZ likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So sorry to read that.

PU2OZT likes this.