Kenwood MC-60 problem or my TS-2000??

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by WA5GLO, Mar 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA5GLO

WA5GLO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been fighting an intermittent low TX audio on my Kenwood TS-2000 for a long time. Just when I get to trying to track it down it starts working again. First I’ll say I love the great audio reports I get with the TS-2000 m/MC-60a combination when it works but lately it has been getting to be a big problem. I have replaced the microphone cable a couple of times and that seemed to fix it but then it eventually returns. I had been troubleshooting with my palm mic until I think I accidentally gave the mic away in a box of other items. I have a new one on order. I’m trying to find out if it is the radio or the mic. It doesn’t seem to be that easy to determine. As soon as I try another mic it starts working again. I use my TS-2000 a lot on 2M. It might be in that board. Does anyone have problems like this? I now use my new Icom IC-7300 on HF. Wow what a radio. I have a back up 2M radio as a Kenwood TM-281A. I’ve ordered a cable for the MC-60a to fit the TM-281A as I like the desk microphone.
    I would really appreciate some thoughts on what might be going wrong. I really think it is in the microphone. I’m using it without the pre-amp so that should rule out part of the microphone. Thanks Larry WA5GLO

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  2. KI7RPM

KI7RPM Ham Member QRZ Page

disconnect the cable running from radio to the mic base at the mic take the mic and disconnect from the mic stand and connect to the cable running to the radio use the switch on the mic to xmit is the noise gone if so then its in the wiring inside the mic base its getting rf on them check out this article attached below
    good luck it worked for me 73 robert KI7RPM

Kenwood MC-60 microphone RFI solution
    Posted on 20 October 2010 by PA8E

[​IMG]It used to sit in the corner of my desk, my Kenwood MC-60 microphone. Although it has a suburb audio it also has so much RFI which makes it useless. On my to-do-list: search the internet to fix this problem so I can use this nice mike.
    Finally I found the easiest fix there is for the RFI-problem with the Kenwood MC-60! Open up the bottom plate and just solder a 10NF capacitor between the blue wire and on the connector which connects to the rig (see picture). And done you are! No more RFI. If only I had knew this issue was so easy to fix, I could have start use the MC-60 a long time ago!

[​IMG]

3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Known issue with the original Kenwood MC-60(a) microphone.
    Supposedly correct in later models.
    Correction shown in Reply #2

RF (when you transmit) causes interference (RFI).
    Common Mode in your radio shack could also be an issue (intermittent interference).