Kenwood MC-50 compatability with an Omni D 546

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KM4OKB, Feb 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KM4OKB

KM4OKB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I would like to ask the fellow hams a question. I not up on my microphone technicalities so please bear with me. I bought a omni d 546 from a fellow ham that did not come with a mic. I picked up a Kenwood MC-50 today at the local flea market. When i see one of those old mics i just cant pass it up if its priced reasonable. So down to the question I am curious if there is a way to make this mic work with this radio. Im assuming some soldering will be in the to do list so im prepaired for that but i just need some over all advice on this modification. i have seen pictures of mc-50s with a jack in the rear of them for this mod but i dont know where to start. If it can or cant be done please let me know. I want to go ahead and say thanks ahead of time!

2. KM4OKB

3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, the MC-50 is a good match for that rig. Work out the microphone plug connections and you're good to go.

The MC-50 supports selectable output impedance. Either impedance setting will likely work with that rig but I'd probably start by setting up the MC-50 in the 50k ohm output impedance mode as a good match to the Ten-Tec's solid state mic preamp.

-Dave

4. KM4OKB

thanks dave, it looks as if the ptt button omni wants that pulled down to ground to activate the transmit in the radio, if so that means that the top side of the coil is the mic out wit the other side of the coil tied to ground? i think this is right

5. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Ten-Tec user manual should show you how to wire the mic. Some rigs will tie the mic cable shield to ground as you describe, other rigs keep the keying line and the mic shield separate to eliminate ground loops. It depends on the rig, its keying and its mic preamp design so it's best to find a copy of the Ten-Tec manual or an on-line reference showing you how to wire the mic appropriately for the rig.

-Dave