Kenwood/Icom TL-25 series connector info needed

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N8YX, Jun 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

An oldie but goodie.

These connectors were used extensively in radios such as the Kenwood TS-530/830/930 and many Icom products such as the R7000 and IC-751. The headers and plugs have 2mm pin spacing, and are keyed. The headers themselves have round pins and the plugs use a crimp-on contact which is triangular at its mating end. Usually found in white, though some rigs used color-keyed variants. They can vary in pin count from 2 to 12 and are all single-row.

Anyone who has serviced one of the radios of the 80s knows exactly which connector type I'm talking about.

Icom lists a typical part number as "TL-25H-02-B1" or "TL-25P-06-V1" in the service manuals. I believe these to be accurate OEM numbers as some of their other connectors I'm familiar with (e.g., the Taiko Denki mini coaxial plugs) are accurately notated in the parts list.

Problem is...I'm drawing a total blank. They're NOT current JST products, as I've been through their catalog. The 'Net doesn't help much either.

Ideas? I specifically need a source for the plug contacts.

2. W2WDX

W2WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the application? Mic, accessory, control, RF?

Oh wait never mind ... I see the connector you're talking about. The header connectors on the PCB's and such. Yeah ... those are hard to source these days. I'll check my usual sources and get back to ya.

I have used standard 2mm header plugs for these in a pinch, but I'll see if I can find a source for the real ones if that's important to ya.

Just to be clear you're talking about these white connectors, like the ones in this image of a IC-751?

headers.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct.

I can scavenge the plug bodies and headers from defunct rigs. What I need to know are the part numbers for the contact terminals themselves, and for that I need an OEM data sheet. Or a lead on the manufacturer.

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Greg,

With all due respect, they're not even close to KK stuff (of which my junque box runneth over).

I did a little more digging. Am now 99% certain that Taiko Denki made the series. Took a Kenwood plug apart yesterday and the connectors have "T D" etched into them. Found an eBay listing for Denko pins for another series and the data sheet adheres to the "Tx-##" part numbering scheme they use.

Next step is to email their headquarters for more info.

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

John -
    Yes, I know that Japan’s Big 3 used Japanese OEM (JST, Taiko Denki, Hirose, etc.) ...
    and they began movement of connector Pitch from English 2.54mm / 0.1” to Metric 2 mm.

Taiko Denki has historically been difficult to work with from USA,
    almost easier to fly to Malaysia and sit at their office there.
    http://www.taiko-denki.co.jp/english/company/base.html

JST (Japan Solderless Terminal) has their USA office in Waukegan, IL ...
    so you can talk to product engineers.
    http://jst.com/home19.html

JST 2.0mm pitch, wire to board connectors (multiple pages).
    http://jst.com/home21.html