Kenwood DFC 230 display fault

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by VK5JBJ, Oct 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VK5JBJ

VK5JBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My Kenwood DFC 230 has a display fault. It works fine on 80 meters and basically any band that starts at .5 i.e
    3.500, 24.500 28.500 and 29.500.
    When I switch to any other band on my TS130s say 7MHz for example the read out on the radio will say 7.000 and the read out on the DFC230 will be 500.0 also when this happens a buzzing noise comes from the tiny inbuilt speaker of the dfc230.
    If anyone has any tips on how to fix this issue I would be very greatful.
    Cheers
    Brenton
    VK5JBJ

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Cant help with that fault but when mine crapped out I was told there are unobtainium IC's in it.
    I picked up another and its been fine for several years.

3. M6AGL

M6AGL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had problems with display drivers where one segment would go dark compared to others, and would only happen on certain digits.
    Mine turned out to be a bad connection on a switching transistor. This is between the display driver and the segment display so it just wasn't switching fully on. Lucky for me it was discrete components.

Even if that particular display driver is unobtanium, it would still be possible to design a direct replacement for the display just as long as the problem is not further back down the chain or you will be replacing larger chunks so the time and hassle factor increases.

Worth checking visually around connections especially if there are cables involved.

4. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a connection in the cable which tells the unit it's on a "0.0" or "0.5" band.

Check the equipment manuals for details (DFC-230 and TS-130S). See which connectors in those DIN jacks and plugs carry the signal, and make sure they aren't oxidized or dirty. Perhaps a drop of DeOxIt on all connectors is in order.

Did the equipment work previously? A little history here would be helpful.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess would be bad solder connections on the double sided PC board.

Good Luck.