Kenwood D710 - How do you program odd splits?!?!

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K3RLD, Dec 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've searched hi and lo for this answer, and so far the only answers I get are:

1) Just define Tx and Rx as two different channels, one on "A" and one on "B". This won't work, for example, when I am using the radio to contact the ISS digipeater, as I need to do do a doppler shift in both directions.... It stinks to have to switch between "bands" and fumble with the dials and adjust in the proper direction.

2) I found an archived AMSAT bbs response where Bob Bruninga mentions that there is a way to store the odd split in a single channel, by "holding the m.in button for a full second". I can find no reference to this in any of the multitude of manuals for this radio.

Anybody have a verified method to do this? CHIRP may be a solution... but I'm still waiting on my interface cables...

2. K3RLD

well, to add insult to injury.... just got back from best buy to get a USB to Serial adapter....

Ubuntu recognizes the usb port, recognizes that it's an RS-232 adapter, but chirp doesn't seem to recognize the radio all..... :(

3. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're doing odd splits within a band, you can either manually adjust the offset amount OR use a "split channel". Keep in mind, however, that the D710 is limited to a minimum of 5kHz steps.

The AMSAT guidance comes from a different limitation of the D710: you can't do cross-band programming in a single memory. If you are programming for a VU or UV FM bird, you would need to have the VHF frequency on one VFO, and the UHF frequency on the other VFO.

4. K3RLD

But HOW do you "manually adjust the offset" or use a "split channel"? That's the question, I cannot find any instruction as to how you can program offsets other than standard.

As for the second part, this is specifically in reference yo the iss digipeater, which is simplex. Since it's now uhf, you need to adjust Doppler on the fly for both Tx and Rx, in opposite directions. If i can program a channel to have mirrored offsets, it will make my life much easier.

5. N1EN

Extended manual, pages Memory-1 and Memory-2.

Highlights are:
    1. Go to VFO mode, set up the RX frequency as if it were simplex, press [M.IN] and store it in your desired memory location.
    2. Go back to VFO mode, set up the TX frequency as if it were simplex, and press [PTT] and [M.IN] and store it in the same memory location.

I'm not positive off the top of my head how CHIRP handles it, but if you have access to Windows, the free MCP software from Kenwood has an explicit split memory section.

Oh, and regarding not getting CHIRP to recongize the radio being there: remember that there are two data ports on the 710. The port you connect to for programming the radio is not the same port you connect to for using the TNC. I think the control head has the TNC port, while the programming port is on the body of the radio, but I could have that reversed in my memory.

K6CLS likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Programming odd splits is a bit odd.

I am surprised it is not in the operators manual.

7. K3RLD

I'll give it try tonight...... I couldn't find that ptt tidbit anywhere, guess I shoulda put my spectacles on. :oops:

8. K3RLD

Success!!! Thank you, sir!

9. K3RLD

Ah... next stupid question. Same manual section says clearing a channel is done as such:

1) Select MR mode
    2) Select channel you want removed
    3) Power down transceiver
    4) Press MR and Power
    5) Confirm channel deletion

I am obviously doing something wrong, because when I press MR and hold it (and power on), nothing happens other than the radio turns on. I've tried holding both buttons continuously and nothing different happens. Now I'm really scratching my head....

10. N1EN

That matches my understanding of the instructions...but I have to admit that I've never had a need to manually clear a memory channel before. That's what programming software is for. :)