Kenwood AT-200 help

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W1UWC, Oct 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1UWC

W1UWC Ham Member QRZ Page

The top plastic shaft for the tuning cap (R tune) has broken have tried different glues but no luck. I now have a brass shaft coupler that I got from k4eaa web site. I need. One in plastic, as I'm worried that the brass coupler is letting stray RF out. The coupler is also a bit long. I have been thinking about using epoxy then some fiberglass Matt with fiberglass resin. Any thoughts? Tiring to find that capicator seems its not a good option. If someone has a AT 200 for parts would be willing to buy. But really need some input about repairing that shaft.
    Thanks to all that provide input.
    Dan W1UWC

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Could you use one that is 3D printed ?

I have repaired shafts by drilling a very small hole in both parts of the shaft, Then insert a piece of metal rod gluing it together.

Good Luck.

3. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

A photo would help, but one option might be using phenolic sleeve glued in place. Phenolic tube can be bought from McMaster-Carr or US Plastic.

Norm

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it looks like that capacitor needs a plastic shaft, as neither side is grounded.

Although these look like a nice ATU on the outside, having just looked inside (at online photos) I'm not impressed ! For a start, it only has paxolin switch wafers.

But also, it won't match any high-impedance antennas - they only quote up to 500 ohms, so that's pretty poor. (in other words, it will only match what a Valve PA rig with a Pi-Tank would match on its own).

And anyway, any higher impedance and the variable capacitors they use would flash over, as they're pretty narrow spaced!

I think if I bought one, I'd just use the box, and put some decent variable capacitors and switches inside.

Roger G3YRO

5. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dan,

It really depends on how much of the original shaft you have left, and do you have the part that broke off. If not no big deal.
    If you have enough sticking out simply cut it flush. Obtain a replacement shaft ( plastic, fiberglass, wood dowel, metal or a shaft from an old time tv. They had plastic shafts that were several inches long.

Make sure both parts are cut square. Drill and tap each part. Fine threads are best for plastic. Cut the head off a screw the same size you tapped the holes. Then thread the two parts together. Just before they touch put a drop of glue then tighten. Problem solved. I did a similar repair in video #166 on the Clough Brengle signal generator from 1937.

Sorry I just saw your email today. I get over a thousand a week.