Kenwood 570s issue

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by BRANDONLEE, Jun 11, 2021 at 10:03 AM.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. BRANDONLEE

BRANDONLEE QRZ Member

I recently bought a Kenwood 570s from a ham operator 2 days ago; after the second day when powering on I would lose recieve and frequency would disappear and just show dots. I reset the rig and everything goes back to normal. How do I fix this issue and who repairs these rigs? I live in Kentucky and I really don't want to have to ship it out. Being new to amateur radio and working towards my license I hope I wasn't duked on this rig and it's a cheap easy fix.

2. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like he laid it to you Brandon. I really doubt that suddenly started happening.

The issue I would 'guess' would be a VCO unlocking. I've never peeked into a 570. Below is the URL to the service manual and I've attached an image of the VCO checks if you are capable of doing those, and if not maybe you know someone there nearby that can assist you. I am assuming the 570s and 570d are similar. Anyway, good luck!

http://www.fracassi.net/iw2ntf/manuali/TS570_serv.pdf

Attached Files:

3. BRANDONLEE

BRANDONLEE QRZ Member

4. BRANDONLEE

BRANDONLEE QRZ Member

Thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction. I do feel like he got me on this, but when buying older used equipment there's no guarantees. Stuff like this makes me want to turn away from going ahead with my ham license. Him being a ham operator, I would think he wouldn't do things like that as well as supposedly being a friend. Again thank you for taking time to help.

5. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

You could always ask about it, as above it is probably the PLL circuit(s). There are places that do Kenwood repairs.
    Rob