Kentucky Packet Network going dark

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4O, Jul 9, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

All,

The Kentucky Packet Network posted a shutdown notice on its prolific web site. Plus the very helpful years of content organized blog style in their web site is gone.

https://kypn.wordpress.com/

No one can ask any more from a person and organization that provided 25 years of digital uptime to the northern KY locals. I just wonder if there is more to the story.

2. K4YND

K4YND Ham Member QRZ Page

What is a packet network used for?

Thanks
    Don

K1OIK likes this.
  3. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Packet?

4. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

In this context, the "packet network" is a single node BBS with several ports on several frequencies, UHF down to HF. It is a different approach to making the most of AX.25. Sad to see this experiment being shut down and worse yet, the lessons learned being erased from the blog.

K4YND likes this.
  5. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

evidently, nothing.

but, it does serve as a market for snarky buttholes who need to ply their trade.

6. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Bummer
    Jeff had some nice stuff up. Had hours of fun dusting packets and exploring the ports on his system over the years.

7. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many thanks to those who worked to keep the KYPN going for so long.

I for one wish packet, particularly vhf packet, was more popular. I always found it to be a lot of fun, but it's not the kind of thing you can do by yourself.

KX4O, N3AWS, KD8OSD and 1 other person like this.
  8. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

We're going to make a go of something similar in the Virginia area if things come together like we hope. KYPN's mere existence was a significant reason for our project. The fact it is going away degrade's our reasoning significantly.

N3AWS and W4ABN like this.
  9. KA3BVJ

KA3BVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have working on getting a network online and it is growing just have to teach the new people what it can do.
    I think the way things are going it will come back..BPQ seems to helping

10. KA3BVJ

KA3BVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

KX4O likes this.