Kentucky HS students looking for first QSOs (Thursday, July 12)

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by AI4BJ, Jul 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. AI4BJ

AI4BJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be introducing a group of Governor's Scholars Program participants to amateur radio tomorrow morning, Thursday July 12, and am hoping that a few of them will be able to complete HF contacts. We should be calling CQ under my call sign between approximately 11:00 and 11:30 AM EDT (1500-1530 UTC)) around 14.275 MHz, +/- QRM.

If you are near your radio at that time, I would appreciate your keeping an ear open for us!

https://gsp.ky.gov

Thanks es 73,

Mark Volstad, AI4BJ
    ARRL Section Youth Coordinator, Kentucky
    mvolstad@twc.com

MI0YLT likes this.
  2. W4BUE

W4BUE Subscriber QRZ Page

Great. Wish I had seen your notice in time. Hope the students had a great time. Maybe we can make a future schedule .

As you may have noticed we sponsor a youth plaque (18 and younger) and a young adult plaque (19 -24) for the Virginia QSO Party.

Does Kentucky do the same thing?

Visit us at K4AMG.org.

Rich W4BUE
    Founder K4AMG

MI0YLT likes this.
  3. AI4BJ

AI4BJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Rich. Yeah, I think the students enjoyed themselves. One of our hands-on activities was to set up a telegraph circuit and have the students send silly headlines to each other in Morse. 20 meters was in pretty poor shape, but a couple of students did manage to complete QSOs with hams in TX and MA, so they were very pleased. Photos from the event can be seen here.

I don't believe that the Kentucky QSO party includes a youth category, but it's been a few years since I last participated so that may have changed.

Mark AI4BJ

MI0YLT likes this.
  4. MI0YLT

MI0YLT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent Mark wish I had seen this event earlier myself