Kent Straight Key review

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by AA4OO, Sep 9, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W4TYD

W4TYD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the distinction between American and European style is where the key is placed when operating. When operating European style, the key is on the edge of the operating desk and no part of the arm is on the desk. The movement of the forearm not the wrist operates the key. While the key is placed further back on the desk and some part of the forearm is resting on the desk and movement of the wrist operates the key.

The knob on a European key is generally higher off the desk than an American key. The Kent key is European style. That does not mean you can not use it American style.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I hadn't noticed that. Apparently the bearings are pressed in now rather than cinched tight with a bolt. The newer version has a cleaner look.

Also the more I look at the two the older version has slightly different adjustment knobs.

By the way what is the capacitor for on your key?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good question. I am not sure why I did that! I have a vague recollection of some years ago having an RF-in-the-shack issue with an old PalStar keyer used with an FT-840 that would continue keying itself after sending, thinking RF bypass capacitors on the paddle would help. But I don't know why I would have done that with the straight key too. Maybe it was because at that time I used a Y connector to parallel the straight key and the keyer/paddle and thought it couldn't hurt? And then just left it there.

In any case I no longer have that keyer, my radio has two separate key jacks now, and haven't had RFI problems in the shack in at least 10 years, so obviously it's not needed. Maybe never was in the first place. I really just don't remember the rationale for it.