Keeping My Interest Alive

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0MB, Aug 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you sure that isn't, "callsign Charlie?"

I loved that scene.

When this movie came out, I was Active Duty USAF, working on a tactical nuclear weapons system at the time. We were proudly serving our Nation and ending the Cold War.
    We all had top-line stereo systems back then, and we'd crank the opening flight deck scene of this movie into 3-way speakers with either 12 or 15-in woofers.

Great times in foreign country dorm-like rooms for us single guys in their 20's.
    We USAF comm-electronics ground pukes were rather jealous of fighter pilots at that time.

:p

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

But NOT quite as good to rival a 4 speaker system WITH the addition of a sub-woofer and a center channel speaker. :eek: Or does that make it a "6" speaker system?:confused: The sub-woofie :Dmade a BIG difference! Simply hearing is good, but actually FEELING the sounds makes for a dramatic difference!:cool::D:rolleyes:

But I THANK you (and all) for your service.

NL7W likes this.
  3. WA9SVD

We are at the minimum of the minimum, which may last for almost another year. We still aren't quite as low as in Cycle 23, but that remains to be seen. The UPSIDE is that propagation WILL return, just as it did with the end of Cycle 23, despite the "nay-sayers." We all need to be patient, and if possible, try the lower frequency bands, such as 40, 80, and 160 Meter bands, especially at night. Believe me, (after 50+ years experience) the bands WILL come back! At the peak of the last Cycle (24) some said conditions were bad, unusable, terrible, etc. but I was able to make more DX contacts on 10 Meter than on 20 Meters. Patience is the key, and in the meantime, just work what you can.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SSN=0. Are there negative numbers?

5. WA9SVD

I dunna know. :confused: Cycle 23 had more "ZERO" percent days than are current; Cycle 24 may have less, the same or even more than the previous cycle. Unless you have a crystal ball, :oops:we won't know the REAL bottom of the current cycle until Cycle 25 start up in earnest.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  6. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ask our European hams. Their countries have discovered negative interest rates... :cool:

7. W0MUD

W0MUD Ham Member QRZ Page

...Or empathy. :)

WS4JM likes this.
  8. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Couldn't agree more... After all, my tagline is...

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

And, especially when propagation is cr√£ppy, it helps to put more "fire in the wire" and/or more metal in the air. This is NOT the best time for QRP and/or mediocre antennas.

10. WA1UIL

WA1UIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I got on 20M yesterday and as luck would have it, I'm still 5-9 No rag chew, no how do I sound. Not even a "Hey, sounds like there's RF in your audio" Just the very consistent, never sun spot affected, "five and nine here"
    So back to doing other stuff,like pulling weeds.