ad: elecraft

Keeping My Interest Alive

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0MB, Aug 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The solar minimum days are sure taking a toll on my love of radio - ham and otherwise. I can't get motivated, there are no new log entries, I haven't used the down time to catch up on QSLs owed, etc. I vaguely remember this from times past, but it seems worse this time. Anyone else feeling it? Could it be that, at 50 years the newness is wearing off??

W9RAC, W5WN and NL7W like this.
  2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, I'm spending a lot more time at the test bench working on older rigs and tinkering with my own designs and a lot less time operating lately. I still usually have a rig on while I'm working and if I hear interesting activity I'll move over to the operating desk and see what I can work but I'm spending a lot more time playing with the radios than 'playing radio' ;)

NL7W, N7BDY and W4NNF like this.
  3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The annual meeting of the Apathy Society was canceled, due to lack of interest. :: sigh :: :p

KD8ZMN, W7UUU, W1TRY and 8 others like this.
  4. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Summers seem always quiet. The 6m E peak for the season has seemed to quiet down (there are still lots of openings though). I chase a fair amount of DX but nothing on that I need. I do need to do some more purging / cleanup / organizing so I can get other projects moving along. There's a QRP event coming up in a week or so. Work / family otherwise keeps me engaged especially with 2 young daughters.

I have several different hobbies with ham radio being the primary hobby.. so if I get bored with one hobby I might put it on the back burner for a while and focus on something else and come back to it again down the road.

NL7W and WA7PRC like this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope. You just need to find something new in ham radio to get you interested again...digital...satellites...moonbounce…county hunting. Etc., etc. After 50 years there are still plenty of things in ham radio I have never tried. :)

W4RAV, NL7W, KK4NSF and 1 other person like this.
  6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

While I certainly understand that the current solar cycle has bitten into HF propagation, but there is a WHOLE LOT more to ham radio than just rag-chewing, or logging DX on the HF Bands. Like you mentioned, maybe it's time to send those overdue QSL cards.... or do like W4NNF recommends and find something new within the hobby to work on like EME, or upping your CW speed, or do like I did and re-organize your equipment.

I do understand that you've fallen into a funk bout radio. Nothing seems to capture your attention, and it seems sort of futile. That is not just a radio thing... it's a general boredom thing. BUT I have no doubt that something within the hobby can prove to be interesting, once you start a new project /effort. Maybe it's fixing up an antique radio.... maybe it's talking to satellites. I don't know your interests. I do know however that once you find your new project, it can lead you out of your funk.... and back to enjoying your avocation.

NL7W and W4NNF like this.
  7. WS4JM

WS4JM Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't care less about apathy

NL7W, KA4DPO and WA7PRC like this.
  8. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah. Crossed 55 years, and still lots of radio stuff to occupy my time with. Don't know how I ever did it before I retired. Nothin' on the bands? Always BCB DXing, antenna work for winter, fooling with XTAL sets, ultralight radio stuff, putting a rig in the truck, NDB logging, clearing scrub to put more radials down. My winter cause is 160M. That'll keep me outta trouble.
    Never a dull moment, never was.
    Mike N3PM

WA9JOQ, NL7W and K3XR like this.
  9. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My radio use has diminished, but not due to apathy or lack of interest. It has been lack of time due to overwhelming maintenance and repair work on the house and my new shack. I am finishing up the electrical feed to the subpanel, installing a new ground system, completing drywall, mud and paint and putting in shelves and furniture, and finally installing some "new" antennas. My hope is all will be done before the Fall and Winter and I can begin working some of the upcoming DXpeditions.

Roger N6RGR

NL7W likes this.
  10. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Try operating portable. Set up in a nice park where there's not too much foot traffic. Keep in the shade. Set up on a weekend when there is ham activity. Print out a sheet showing all of the ARRL QSO parties so you know when a weekend is active. Look for a contest weekend.
    Want more of a challenge? Set up portable QRP, but you better know CW if you do.
    When setting up portable, make sure you use a GOOD antenna, not some non resonant antenna you find on Ebay.
    I've been setting up QRP Portable for many years and I never get tired of it. Sometimes a few of my friends join me. I always take along some snacks and drinks.
    At times I add to the day by loading up the motorcycle with my gear, food included, go for a long ride and look for a state park to set up.

Maybe my web page will give you an idea?

http://www.ku3x.net/p

Barry, KU3X

KB2FCV likes this.