ad: UR5CDX-1

KE6VWN - Norman Ball

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KI6NNO, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KI6NNO

KI6NNO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm saddened to post the passing of Norman Ball, KE6VWN on April 8th, 2008.

I didn't know him personally, nor do I know any of our fine Hams brethren on 147.435... :D Yet, I have my reasons for posting this obit.

This particular group of radio yahoos have brought many hours of laughter to my ears on 2M, to the point that it makes one wonder how many have received a NAL from Riley. :eek: But I pretty much enjoy a good listen to their rag chewing, and for as long as they've been around, it's ok in my book. Just keep the kiddies' ears outside the shack, or at least close the door...

Norman flew a bit above the radar last year and received this fine article of literature from our friends back east:

"ENFORCEMENT: L.A. HAMS TOLD TO STAY OFF K6GE REPEATER

The FCC has ordered two Los Angeles area hams to stay off of an area repeater. In August 23rd letters to ,Norman Ball, KE6VWN, of Sunland, and Richard Martin, KE6RJI, of Maywood, California, the FCC warned both hams to avoid using the K6GE repeater or face punitive action,

According to the FCC, both hams had been requested by the repeater operator to refrain from using the K6GE system. The regulatory agency says that both hams apparently ignored both verbal and written requests to do so. Now they have been told that they could wind up facing fines of up to $10,000 if they ignore the FCC's order to keep off of the K6GE machine. (FCC)"

Nevertheless, it's a sad day when any Ham goes SK, and Norman Ball will be missed; even, I suspect, by Riley.

Donations to the Norman Ball memorial fund can be made through the "435" website. All donations will go to his long-time friend (wife?) Marla.
    http://www.435online.com/NormanBall.htm

R.I.P., Norman.

73 to Marla and the 435-ers de KI6NNO

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  2. W6IRE

W6IRE Guest

Norman Ball had just recently upgraded to General and his love of amateur radio was an inspiration to all. His drug fueled enthusiasm for radio communications was awe inspiring. When some fellow hams stopped in to check on his welfare, they were met by a crazed, knife wielding Norm and that homicidal insanity is what endeared Norm to many.

He had capture control of our beloved 435 repeater and could filibuster for days on end, never allowing anyone else to use the machine. Nobody could jam the output like Norm, it was his jamming that made him a local legend.

A great amateur radio operator is now a silent key.

3. W6AES

W6AES Ham Member QRZ Page

I never met Norman personally, but I listened to him for years on 435. Druggie or not, he had a great sense of humor, and I think he was probably a lot smarter than he let on.

I still smile when I remember the incident several years back where he locked himself in his closet and talked on the repeater for 3 straight days. A character, to say the least.

4. KK6GUN

KK6GUN Ham Member QRZ Page

nobody posted the circumstances of his death?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.