KC9HJX Introducing..

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KC9HJX, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC9HJX

KC9HJX Guest

Hello, I am KC9HJX

My main setup in my room consists of:

Motorola CDM1250 VHF
    Motorola GM300 VHF
    Motorola MaxTrac 800 x6 (Various County 800 Stuff)
    Motorola AstroSaber III UHF (1C5E)
    Motorola MT2000 VHF
    Motorola HT1000 UHF (x2)
    Motorola HT600 UHF
    Motorola HT750 VHF
    RadioShack Pro-2051
    Yaesu FT-1500M (In my Car)
    Yaesu VX-170

Heh, as you can see, I use alot of Motorola gear. I am currently
    a member of the FishFar and STROKE Motorola repeater systems for
    the greater Northern Illinois/Chicago Area.

I will try to post a picture of my setup if I can, if not, there is a picture of it
    over at RadioReference, I would post a link, but I believe that you cannot do
    that here.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2008
  2. KC0KBH

KC0KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

Wish I had all those /\/\ rigs. [​IMG] I hang out around Batlabs, under the username of my call sign, but I'm a pager guy. I love my pagers! Every aspect of pagers- programming, recrystalling, protocols, transmitters, etc.
    I do own 10 or 12 commercial rigs-
    A load of Standard HX240 UHF HT's
    1 Standard HX241 VHF HT
    1 Maxon UHF HT
    1 Midland UHF mobile

I have gear to program all my Standard commercial HT's. The HX240/241 is really a nice little radio. For what it cost new, it is a very durable radio. I got a box of 9 or so, with the Maxon HT, free. I bought the Midland UHF mobile and HX241, since I wanted a indestructible VHF HT (I put quite a few chips in my VX-7r, and tested its waterproofing, many times purposely, and once, I dropped it in a swollen stream in spring, that was murky, and had a heck of a time finding it. It was extremely lucky I did find it. It was even still on, when it was found. [​IMG]

3. KC9HJX

KC9HJX Guest

Yeah, Yaesu's are tough. They're not as tough as some of my Motorola's, but damned are they water-proof like them. The VX-170 is really water-sealed; I would say that it's only weakness is the Keypad. After preforming a modification, I peeped around inside the case and the DTMF/Front Buttons are it's only weakness.

------
    Oh, and for antennas:

Comet GP-3 at 14ft above rooftop -or- 45ft HAAT. (30ft CQ RG8 (9913 Equiv) Coax)

And RS Discone at the Base of the Mast, with 20ft Commscope Telecom Cable

4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome Ray to the youth forum. It looks like you have a great deal of knowledge in commercial radio gear, and you will be an asset in the youth forum, certainly for those young hams who get involved in converting commercial gear for use with amateur radio. I say, on the behalf of the youth forum, that we hope to see more of your postings here.

As for the image, you will find a button on your reply box that says "image" you can use this to post images. The rules of QRZ.com forbid posting images which contain vulgarity, also the rules forbid posting images that are copyrighted. However, if the picture is yours, feel free to post using the image tags. Or you can just post a link to the image. Again the rules of the road apply.

Steve/KD5OWO

One of the QRZ.com moderators

5. KC9HJX

KC9HJX Guest

The image is a bit outdated, with some newer Motorola Astro/Apco25 Portables in the mix (Apco,Astro25, Digital, whichever you prefer to call it [​IMG] )

I will try to post a newer picture tomorrow after school/work

6. KC0KBH

[​IMG]

That's my shack. I got my license when I was 9 in '01, and upgraded to General a couple years ago. I also have this-
    [​IMG]

My beautiful 1985 Kawasaki 185 four wheeler, which I have a homebrew bug catcher that I can bolt to the back rack, and run my FT-817 in the event of an emergency, with a power outage. I got the four wheeler really cheap, and it is a blast to ride (though it seems a little on the small side, after riding a newer Yamaha). I also have a tripod I found for the bug catcher in the junk pile, so I can and have used that antenna, portable, with the FT-817.

In the shack picture, the rigs are as follows-
    ICOM IC-765
    Yaesu FT-817
    Standard C158
    Yaesu VX-7r
    Rat Shack HTX242
    1 Maxon commercial UHF HT
    1 Standard HX241V VHF commercial HT
    9 or 10 Standard HX240U UHF commercial HT's
    1 Midland UHF commercial mobile (70-526, I think)

Also, not pictured, I have a box of 50 450 MHz Motorola Bravo numeric pagers, a Motorola Wordline pager (cheap), and a Motorola Advisor Pro. None of them have service, but, the Advisor Pro gets weather and lottery numbers, for free, still, without service. [​IMG] I've also got probably 6 laptops, including a few military surplus ones, a couple desktops (the one that is running in the pic is a homebrew Celeron 566, since my PIII 500 motherboard crapped out on me; the PIII was a much better processor, in my opinion), 2 Palm OS based devices (Handspring Visor, IBM Workpad), and a Casio Cassiopeia Windows CE based handheld PC. There's also my G3 15GB iPod I got very cheap (less than half of what it is worth on eBay) sitting, charging on the desk.

7. KC0KBH

There's KCØKBH/M.:D
    [​IMG]

8. K6PME

K6PME Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool shack Devan, it looks almost exactly like mine with one exception. I mounted the monitor shelf ABOVE the monitor which gave me a bit more 'shelf room' for odds and ends. Just thought I would pass that one on to you.....

73 de Monty

9. KC9HJX

KC9HJX Guest

I just took these pictures a few moments ago.
    Also, my UHF/VHF/X-Band Repeater (However I choose to set it up at the time)
    is mounted in the attic, it is a Motorola RadiusGR300. About 110W ERP

10. KC0KBH

How did you get all the /\/\ stuff? Did you have to drop a real chunk of money? Also, is the laptop on the left an NEC Versa, or a Toshiba Tecra? [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.