ad: CQMM-1

KC0TJ Richard (Rich) Clay SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KN4SA, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KN4SA

KN4SA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked Don (KB0DGD), Rich's son last night on SSTV. He informed me that his father had passed away this week. Rich was a true gentleman. If you ever worked SSTV on 14.230 you were bound to have worked him. He was always more than happy to help newcomers to SSTV. He will be sorely missed by me and many many others. RIP Rich

Clay, Richard R. "Rich" Age 65 of Richfield. Avid Ham Radio Operator Extra Class (KCØTJ) and worked at WRRR Radio and WCEE TV in Rockford, IL and WCCO TV in Mpls as an engineer. Manufacturers sales representative and owner of Clay Rep. Co. and known as "Blinkie". Preceded in death by his parents, Harry and Helen Clay; step-father, William Renker; father and mother-in-law, George and Winnie Duffy and a niece, Kimberly Lamb. Survived by his beloved wife of 45 years, Ruthann; sons, Jon (Sandy) Clay and Don Clay; grandchildren, Miriam, Tyler and Rachel; brothers, David (Barbara) and Daniel (Ruth Ann) Clay; brother-in-law, Phillip (Anne) Duffy as well as many nieces, nephews and friends. Celebration of his life Friday 1:30 PM at the Morris Nilsen Chapel, 6527 Portland Ave. S. Visitation Thursday from 5-8 PM and one our prior to the service. Memorials to donor's choice. Morris Nilsen Chapel 612-869-3226

2. N0FJP

N0FJP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KC0TJ RIP

Rich was one of the first contacts I made on 14.230.
    I didn't know him very wel but he was always nice to chat with.
    He will be missed.

N0FJP

3. K0BLR

K0BLR Ham Member QRZ Page

outch!

Yikes! As a net controller for the MSPN I always remembered talking to Rich before the net, and him telling me how he was running on batteries. This will be a big lost for all those stations that checkin on the Minnesota Section Phone Net! He will truly be missed on the Net!

Rest in Piece my friend Rich

Ben K0BLR
    Fmr. Section Net Mgr. - Noon Net

4. K3WRV

K3WRV Guest

Boy, what a shocker! I stopped at his house on Sunday (7/5) for an eyeball, and we worked Johann, N5CST. Rich seemed just fine.

I've known Rich for 4 computers, and can atrtest to everything Loy has said about him. He was one of the good guys and will be missed by all SSTVers, but also many hams - He was a perfectionist and ran a really clean station. He was a damned good operator and a ham's ham. He'd probably forgotten more electronics than most of us will ever know.

73 Rich. de Bob

5. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Bob, Don sent me that picture of the three of you standing outside that Sunday evening. He certainly did die suddenly, and I guess it is a blessing that he did not suffer for a long time! He certainly will be missed. We didn't get many picture sessions between us, probably because of my inferior setup, but I could always tell when the band was open, even just a little bit, because "Rich from Richfield" would almost always be on the air.

73, dear friend Rich, we will all miss you! Jim S.

6. N0YR

N0YR Ham Member QRZ Page

KC0TJ Rich Clay SK

Don and Family,
    Thank you for letting us know of your Father's passing.
    I usually talked with Rich as he was a regular on our
    MN Section Net.
    He will always be in my logs, his voice in memory.
    Always remember how he taught you this hobby and the
    times that bring a smile to your lips..
    The sparks, the new antenna projects, and the knowledge
    that was passed on to you and your entire Ham Family.

It's an honor to have known him over the air, though
    I never met him in person.
    My condolences to you, your immediate Family, and
    the whole Ham Community.

John, N0YR

7. KA0CSW

KA0CSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad news.

I did not know Rich very well. But I haved talked with him a few times on 146.520 simplex. I always enjoyed talking with him, and hearing his automatic CW I.D. every 10 minutes. He will be missed.

Jim

8. KB9ZI

KB9ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rich from Richfield

I am saddened at the news of the passing of Richard. Over the years we have ragchewed on 2M FM, met his son Don (KB0DGD) on the radio and thought of them as close friends. Rich was the kind of person who was helpful and friendly to everyone. I will miss our technical discussions, ragchewing about his commercial radio days, and the projects Don was working on.

My deepest condolences to Don and the entire family.

Ed Lukaszka KB9ZI

9. AI4FR

AI4FR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My most sincere condolences to the family. The last time I talked with Rich was on field day, just a couple of weeks ago. Rich will be missed by many.

God Bless
    John / AI4FR

10. KD5LWU

KD5LWU Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP

So sorry to hear of his passing - my condolences to the family. May he rest in peace. Fr Johnny Shepherd KD5LWU MMSSTV Yahoo Group Moderator

11. WB0YDI

WB0YDI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll miss you Rich.

Rich and I had many conversations. We both loved SSTV and frequently could be found competing with each other on 14.230 Mhz. He was always a gentleman on the air and I will sorely miss him. RIP my friend. May we QSO again some day.

Dave - WB0YDI

12. KB0DGD

KB0DGD Guest

KC0TJ (SK)

I want to thank every one that has replyed and will reply. I have been reading this QRZ forum many times and thinking of everyone he knew, that has kept him going for years in radio. he would hate that I would buy equipment and just watch him use it. I have loved VHF and UHF, but trying HF more and more. He always said the real hams are below 10m just to get my goat and get me on. he always wanted to help anyone who came to him to share this hobby or love of radio.

73 DE KB0DGD Don... son of KC0TJ

It is so very special to be able to read all the kind messages and sympathy from all of you. Rich lived for ham radio and loved talking to so many of you on the different bands and sstv. I have never known him not to have a mic in his hand and getting excited about reaching a qso that was hard to reach. It seems strange not to see him in front of the radios talking to someone about radio, electronics, antennas or family. His family misses him but he will always be in my heart.

73's & 88's to my favorite ham radio orperator now a silent key KC0TJ Rich

Thank you again to all
    Rich's XYL Ruthann KA0EPZ

email us at KC0TJ@yahoo.com

13. KB0DGD

KB0DGD Guest

A KC0TJ Blog

Yes, I have created a new Blog for my dad and photos.

The Blog site is www.kb0dgd.blogspot.com

Enjoy,
    DE KB0DGD Don son of KC0TJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.