KB3PMG Kenwood TS-990S For Sale

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W5WI, Mar 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. W5WI

W5WI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I replied to this posting and sent an email to kb3pmg@aol.com. I received a prompt reply from "Bill" Interesting because the name in the QRZ and FCC database is Byran! Thinking that "Bill" may be a nickname I sent another email to him requesting photos and a telephone number. This was promptly sent to me.

I started checking things out. First, the phone number was not for the same address shown on QRZ or FCC databases.

Second, in comparing the individual picture of the serial number to the photo showing the back of the radio it appeared the serial numbers were different.

I asked for another photo of the back of the radio where the serial number would be clearer. "Bill" replied that he had already sent me a photo of the serial number!

Third, a check of the serial number he provided showed the radio belonging to the photo serial number was manufactured in July 2013. Now my BS flag was very high! "Bill" said the radio was two years old.

Forth, looking closer at callsign KB3PMG on the QRZ and FCC database showed the callsign expired in July 2017.

I have not heard anything further from "Bill". I strongly suggest his posting be removed and handled like a scam.

K9ASE likes this.
  2. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The kb3pmg@aol.com and @hotmail.com emails have been used in scam postings for high end ham gear since 2016. Sure looks like a compromised QRZ account.

KA2FIR likes this.
  3. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This account is not compromised on QRZ. No indications of any tampering whatsoever.

4. AJ4GQ

My point was that, in all probability, someone other than the real KB3PMG has had control of that QRZ account for quite some time.

W5WI and KA2FIR like this.
  5. W5WI

The KB3PMG callsign expired in July 2017. Perhaps the original owner is a SK? My question is... Should folks with expired callsigns be allowed to advertise herein?

6. AJ4GQ

The real Bryan Lee Althouse is alive and well but apparently never claimed his QRZ account. It seems a scammer group did and that's probably why QRZ reports the account shows no signs of tampering.

7. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

He did "claim" his account in 2007 but has done nothing with it since 2016.

8. W5WI

Hmmm, very interesting comment... what does the issue date of 2007 have to do with the callsign expiring in 2017? The callsign expired in 2017, period!

Seems to me that folks with expired FCC callsigns should not be allowed to post on QRZ or any other swapmeeet type site!

Mr. Althouse still can renew up to July 2019 if he choses to do so... But, as of now, the callsign is expired and a Scammer is using it!

Dale
    W5WI

KA2FIR likes this.
  9. AJ4GQ

It appears QRZ automatically created the account in 2007 because of the FCC license download. Records indicate it was "claimed" sometime between July and Oct 2015. There is a Dec 2015 ad still up along with the two Feb 2018 ads. The Oct 2015 ad for a Flex 6300 is gone.

10. AJ4GQ

You were right, of course. The QRZ account has been reset and locked and the scammer's email removed. I wonder if an UNMANAGED ACCOUNT tag to warn others when the unsolicited emails start flowing could be added? The three scam ads have been removed also. Good job QRZ!