ad: chuckmartin

KB1NXE - Thursday 4/4/2019

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W1KJL, Apr 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thank you, Neil.

2. AE1P

AE1P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W5WN likes this.
  3. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

4. AE1P

Went today to Jim's service along with several other of our CCDX-ARC group...
    its still surreal.
    Sharing this video that pretty much says all there is to say about Jim...

I, along with several other of his "Ham" family...feel pretty empty tonite.

Neil
    AE1P

W7UUU likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Oh my.... :(

They were so meant for each other - so tragic but Jim was loyal to the very end without regard to anything else.

Gotsa a lump in my throat... :(

Dave
    W7UUU

6. AE1P

Can't believe its already been a year...still missing ya , Jim.

73 ol' friend...
    Neil

W5WN likes this.
  7. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Tragic news.....still. Jim headed up the annual Clarence Demar Marathon (Keene, NH) radio com for years if not decades.

He always did a great job of NCS, organizing operators along the 26 mile route, and moreover he was simply a nice guy. He will be missed by friends and family alike - time will not change that.

Jim, WQ2H

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    W5WN likes this.
  8. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not know this Ham , but I have tears in my eyes as I type this in the UK.....what a dreadful tragedy...how much we love our dogs...I would have likely done the same. RIP. G4OBB

N4FZ likes this.
  9. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

THANK YOU TO ALL OF JIM'S FRIENDS

W5WN likes this.
  10. AE1P

Hard to believe its been 2 years...
    Jim's place was sold this last Wednesday,
    the timing being bittersweet...all his equipment
    and tower,ect. has been scattered about.
    73 Ol man...see you and Murphy on the other side

K8PG, N4FZ, W5WN and 3 others like this.
  11. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

James T. Philopena, KB1NXE SK

[​IMG]

James 'Jim' Philopena
    September 2, 1959 - April 4, 2019

“No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” (John 15:13)

James Timothy Philopena (Jim), 59, died Thursday, April 4, while attempting to rescue his true companion, Murphy, from Meetinghouse Pond in Marlborough, NH. He will be endlessly missed by all who knew and loved him.

Jim was born to Lois and Frank Philopena in Manchester, CT in 1959 and graduated from East Catholic High School before matriculating into the Air Force. He retired from service in 1998 as Master Sergeant. He worked for C&S in Keene, NH, UMass Amherst, and most recently, Landmark College in Putney, VT, where he served as Senior Network Analyst.

Along with walks and play time with Murphy, Jim thoroughly enjoyed volunteering and communicating with others worldwide as a ham radio operator, listening to music through a world-class sound system he designed himself, exploring new landscapes with his camera, skiing, and most often, being of service in any way he could. He was gifted with his hands, whether in the workshop where he expertly made gifts for both human and canine friends, in the kitchen where he took the greatest of care with the smallest of ingredients, and while giving his rescue dog Murphy the affection and care he needed to learn to how to love life. Of all his talents and traits, it was Jim’s rare and abiding loyalty to those he loved, his slyly silly humor, his perennial good nature, and his thoughtful, incisive comments on life, love, and society for which he will be most often remembered.

Jim was predeceased by his brother, Frank III, his mother, and his father. He leaves behind his sisters, Beth Urbanetti and Catherine Limansky, his brothers, Paul, John, & Ed Philopena, their spouses, and the nieces & nephews of whom he was so proud. He also leaves behind his beloved Kathy, his tight-knit community at the College, and dear friends from NH to Germany.

Special thanks to Chief Lyons of the Marlborough Police Dept., Lieutenant Boudreau of NH Fish & Game, and all the first responders who helped in the search.

All are invited to a memorial service on Saturday, April 13 at 11:00 a.m. at the Cournoyer Funeral Home, 33 River Street, Jaffrey, NH.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Pets4Luv, 1504 Old Country Rd, Westbury, NY 11590, where Murphy was adopted by his hero in April, 2018.
    https://www.cournoyerfh.com/obituaries/James-Jim-Philopena?obId=4285964

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    N4FZ likes this.