Kantronics KAM

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W8NSI, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Kantronics KAM for MARS/PACTOR

I own one of the OLD original KAMs with the v2.84 rom/eprom.

I am looking for a v6.x or higher version ROM/EPROM or the rom image to burn an eprom to update my KAM to use for PACTOR on MARS frequencies. I have already been in contact with Kantronics. They pointed me toward a guy that repairs KAMs in Montana that lives in a PO Box (a point for another discussion elsewhere). I am waiting for a return contact from him.

If all of this fails [getting an updated eprom for the KAM], can someone tell me what other available TNCs will work on PACTOR? I know about the WINMOR TNC and RMSExpress software, but it does NOT work with the hardware tnc PACTOR systems that many MARS stations are using.

I recently rejoined the NAVY MARS program and am trying to get a PACTOR HF station going for use on the MARS frequencies. When I was last in MARS [about 30 years ago] we were still using the old "green keys" teletypes on hf rtty [mine was a model 15]. Things sure have changed! :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jim I might be able to help. let me see what My KAM rom version is...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim -

I will not comment on Kantronics support posture (firmware images/ROM service), but it is NOT positive.
    Timewave, IMHO, has the best support posture; followed by PacComm -- but PacComm no longer has telephone service/support ---
    it is entirely via Internet e-mail.

TAPR has a Texas company providing EPROM/firmware upgrades for the original TAPR TNC-2
    No experience with MFJ, but some of their products (clones of the TAPR TNC-2) can use the TAPR EPROM image.

The gentleman referred by Kantronics was advertising $35 repair/restore KAM and KPC-3 products -- via eBay auctions (likely how Kantronics discovered him).
    I understood, that he would not be providing this service in future -- once he heads to South Pacific for his next assignment.

There are foreign sources for the ROM image, that gave up on Kantronics long ago for support.
    Let me check my web links, I am aware of one web site that had the latest (v8.2) ROM images for the KPC-3 (non-plus) model [but no KAM] --

Most web sites just have the raw image file -- an EPROM burner and software required for completion of the upgrade.

w9gb

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  4. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim,

Since I've written the software for Kantronics modems since 1997, With a Kam, you not only need the firmware, but the enhancement board to do Pactor.

The unit was called a KAM-E, it was an upgrade from the KAM.

http://www.kantronics.com/legacy.html

Look at the bottom of the page and you'll see the Pactor requirements.

2.84 doesnt even have the KAM host mode.

Rick - W4PC

5. KD4MOJ

Rick:

I thought the enhancement board was for the TOR modes, but pactor was in the last firmware (6.0 or 6.1) ? I'll have to look at mine since it's 6.1. I could be wrong though....

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

P.S. (off topic) Didn't I see M710 software on your site? Couldn't find it.

6. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Pactor is a TOR mode. I.e. Pac'TOR' ;). Like I said, it's on the Kantronics site, I checked before I posted. It's been years since I've worked on the older hardware. I have a KAM-E for testing Digital Desktop releases, as well as a Plus, 98, XL, etc etc etc. We decided to use 7.0 or later as our lowest end firmware, since it has some really advanced commands that can be used in our hostmode program.

P.S. Here's a link to the radio control for the Icom Marine line :)

http://www.w4pcsoftware.com/Marine_Radio_Ops.html

7. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

KAM for PACTOR

I guess that I will have to either find a KAM for sale that is already set up for pactor or I will have to look elsewhere. Thanks everyone...

Navy MARS seems to be leaning toward the WINMOR TNC so maybe I will just stay with that as the companion RMS Express software seems to work pretty well, just not compatible with the PACTOR stations.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That be a foyne old little box. Sorta sorry I sold myne a few years ago.

9. KD4MOJ

Duh... I expected you to read my brain! What I was THINKING (but not writing) about GTOR specifically. Yep it's a TOR. Oh well... couldn't lay my hands on my KAM last night but need to find it to solve this mystery.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

P.S. Thanks for the link!

10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim -

There is a Kantornics KAM Enhancement Board FOR SALE, right now on eBay.

eBay Item number: 220693893483

Seller is listing KAM and the KAM Enhancement board "For Parts".
    He claims that the KAM TNC is not working, BUT the KAM Enhancement Board is OK !

w9gb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.