Kam All Mode V 6.1 problem

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by HK3FHE, Feb 10, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. HK3FHE

HK3FHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi! I recently bought it and has the enhancement board but when connected with putty never shows the "*", instead shows garbled text. I hard reset it many times with no avail. Then I remember something about "stuck in KISS mode" or "stuck in HOST mode" and I try sending de code? (Alt 192 Alt 255 Alt192) but still the same.
    Maybe here someone can help me. I really appreciated it.

K8BZ likes this.
  2. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

To get the KAM out of Host or Kiss mode you must hold the ALT key down while typing the numbers. But you can not use the number keys above the keyboard. It will only work if you use the number keys on the keyboards numeric key pad. Here is the info from the manual for the

Kam Plus
    :
    FOR KISS MODE:
    To force your RAM Plus out of the KISS mode from a standard terminal program, hold the ALT key down and type the numbers 192 on the numeric keypad of your keyboard (NOT THE NUMBER KEYS ABOVE THE KEYBOARD). Release the ALT key. Press and hold the ALT key and type the numbers 255 on the numeric keypad. Release the ALT key. Repeat the ALT 192 sequence. Your KAM Plus will now reset, sending you the sign-on message and the command prompt (cmd:),

FOR HOST MODE:
    When operating a standard terminal program like Pacterm or a telephone communications program like Procomm Plus, you wi11never need to place the KAM Plus in the Host mode; however, you may find that your KAM Plus has been left in Host mode accidentally by another program. If you can not communicate with your KAM Plus, first be sure your terminal program is set for the baud rate you have used with your host program. Turn the KAM Plus off and on. If you see LLSOOL,this means your KAM Plus is in Host mode. To exit Host mode, hold the ALT key down and type the numbers 192 on the numeric keypad of your keyboard (NOT THE NUMBER KEYS ABOVE THE KEYBOARD). Release the ALT key. Type the letter Q and then repeat the ALT 192 sequence. Your KAM Plus will now reset, sending you the sign-on message and the command prompt (cmd:).

FOR THE KAM XL
    KISS MODE

Exiting KISS mode The TCP/IP program should include the command to EXIT KISS mode in the TNC. See that programs documentation for the proper command. To enter the EXIT KISS command manually (from a regular terminal program), send a three character sequence which includes a FEND (frame-end) character (ASCII code 192), FF (ASCII code 255), then another FEND character. A FEND character can be entered manually, by pressing and holding the ALT key, entering 192 from the number key pad on the right side of the keyboard, and then releasing the ALT key. The ASCII code 255 can be entered by pressing and holding the ALT key, entering 255 from the number key pad on the right side of the keyboard, and then releasing the ALT key. The KAM XL will exit KISS Mode, will return to TERMINAL interface mode, and will display the usual Kantronics ―sign-on‖ message. Otherwise, perform a HARD RESET. This will reset all commands to their factory default settings, and allow the KAM XL to be re-initialized as a new unit.

HOST MODE:
    If you want to use a "standard" terminal program after you have used a Host mode program, be aware that your TNC may still be in host mode when you first turn it on. If it is, you will not see the normal sign on message, but instead will see the message " SØØ ", sent by the TNC to indicate that it is in HOST Mode. If you see this message, you must first exit the Host Mode before you can start talking to your unit with a program such as Pacterm. You must send three characters to the TNC in order to exit the Host Mode. First, send a FEND character (ASCII code 192), then the letter q (upper or lower case is ok), and finally another FEND character. The KAM-XL will then leave Host Mode and send the usual Kantronics sign-on message. To send the 3-character sequence from your keyboard, do the following: 1. Press and HOLD the ALT key. Type the numbers 192 (OR 0192 if using Hyperterm) from the numeric KEYPAD (do not use the numbers above the letters on the keyboard). Then release the ALT key. 2. Type "Q". 3. Press and HOLD the ALT key. Type the numbers 192 from the numeric KEYPAD (do not use the numbers above the letters on the keyboard). Then release the ALT key. When your terminal program sends these characters, the TNC will switch you out of Host Mode and into Command Mode.

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    HK3FHE and W4KYR like this.
  3. HK3FHE

HK3FHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! That's exactly what I did but no luck.

4. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

It's been more than 20 years since I've had a KAM+ but I seem to recall that once connected, you had to type an asterisk (*) until the KAM+ correctly determined the speed (baud) and parity of the port.