ad: ProAudio-1

K7AGE posts video of WLW's 1932 500,000 Watt AM transmitter

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K7AGE, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7ZV

N7ZV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great! Video, Thanks for sharing......

Great! Video, thanks for sharing.
    Len N7ZV

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

In terms of output power, they still come in 2nd to NLK, Oso WA (and its twin NAA, Cutler ME) which typically run a MEGAWATT output or more . At NLK, each of the twelve 4CW250000 tubes filaments pull 12V @ 660A. That's a total of 7920A (95KW) just to light the filaments. It uses THREE large plate transformers that stand (IME) 10 ft high in the basement.

A 4½ minute video clip:
    [video=youtube;vXgATFlN5aw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXgATFlN5aw[/video]

3. W9GDH/SK2023

W9GDH/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video. How many QSL cards, reception reports WLW had during the 500KW time.

4. KB9YKU

KB9YKU Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks a million for posting

5. N5PTV

N5PTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank You!

Thank you for the post and video. I really enjoyed it.

Matt

6. K1EVN

K1EVN Ham Member QRZ Page

cool stuff...

7. KC2QMA

KC2QMA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank You Randy!
    This was such a joy to watch. Thank you for the time you put into the production!

John
    KC2QMA
    73!

8. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

K DOUBLE A Y

Cool.... I heard that LITTLE ROCK Arkansas clear as a bell in the Midwest...

I especially liked BEAKER STREET ! Too many moons ago, alas....

Good stuff !

J

NNNN

9. KB0TT

Yet Again

Sue has such interesting posts for the count... You see !

J

NNNN

10. KB0TT

Good stuff Bryan!!!

Tnx,

J

NNNN

11. KE8EC

KE8EC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent piece of history! A 10" feed line. Water cooled tubes with a cooling pond. Wow!

12. N1NQC

N1NQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey All,

The only word I can come up with is WOW !!!!!!!!!

I had read bits and pieces about this tx over the years and seen some photos, but the video was EXTREMELY impressive.

Some years ago I toured one of the 50 Kw "Big Dogs" (WBZ) but it is a "Pup" (re the Crosley "Pup" rcvr -hi, pun intended !) compared to this mighty EIGHT HUNDRED Kw capable MONSTER. The WLW host speculated in the video about whether audio could be heard from the mod xformer. FWIW, at 'BZ program audio was easily copied at a fairly high level inside one of the tuning houses. But it was a long time ago, so I'm unsure exactly which component was "singing ".

Even at a "puny" 50 Kw, WLW is a fairly easy copy during gud conds on my 660/46 litz xtal set here in Boston.

I've always loved Crosley designs , especially the 1920's stuff. FWIW, I have one of his WW II rigs .

K

13. N5JIG

N5JIG Ham Member QRZ Page

It would really be nice to know the total cost. I wonder if Crosley went broke building it. Hats off the past greats who designed this marvel.Hats off to the greats that ran this machine. Can you imagine the permits and regulation interference you would experience today.

14. N5JIG

N5JIG Ham Member QRZ Page

It would really be nice to know the total cost. I wonder if Crosley went broke building it. Hats off the past greats who designed this marvel.Hats off to the greats that ran this machine. Can you imagine the permits and regulation interference you would experience today.

15. AI5EF

AI5EF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Watched it the other day. Great video and I love your channel, Randy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.