ad: MLSons-1

K6VHP, 'Shally', SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by AD2AM, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AD2AM

AD2AM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not have any further details at this time, but I do know that K6VHP, Lloyd 'Shally' Shallenberger, passed away last night. I am local to him, and have this from his XYL through other local hams that are close to the family.

As details become available regarding memorial services, where to send flowers or other donations, etc. I will try to post them here. I know he has been very active on HF, well-known and well loved, and his expertise in diagnosing and repairing tube rigs was legend (he was the man behind Radio Ranch, and I will post my collection of photos from my visit to his "museum" shortly). I was actually slated to have him Elmer me and teach me the Ways of the Tube, and sadly, that is now not to be.

In any case, peace be with K6VHP and his family, friends, and the ham community everywhere. 73, OM... I just know they have a forest of glowing filaments where you are now.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. NY7Q

NY7Q Guest

Shally

I have known Shally for years. I also knew "pop" his dad. This is a shock.
    My whole day is ruined. I have always had more respect for him and his knowledge of electronics and airplanes....God bless you Shally. I will miss you
    so much.

3. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"The latest in mic processing"

Sorry I missed him.

This image is from his website.

Apparently he was quite a card.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  4. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty cool photo. He was a " bit " partial to

Collins gear ... Ya think ????

Sad news though .

JB
    WØJBC

5. AD2AM

He was *the* man you took your tube gear to, locally, and he was well-known nationwide for his amazing knowledge of tube gear of all kinds. His sense of humor was always prevalent in my dealings with him, and hearing him on the local repeaters with people he'd known for many years locally.

And I am sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, and ruining a few folks' day, but I figured there were a lot of people out there who would like to know.

About four months ago, he and I had a long conversation at his workshop, where he expressed his views about Amateur radio and its history, and his regret that things had changed so much and moved so far away from the days when having a ham license would be enough by itself to get one a job in electronics repair, days when there was more professionalism and responsibility on the air, and radios were not disposable, when you could actually build your own rig that was as good or often better than what you could buy. He was quite heartened that a new ham felt the same way about things and had a serious desire to learn tube tech and attain that technical expertise. My biggest regret is that I will never get a chance to learn the wealth of knowledge this man had about tube tech and gear. Of course, I'll miss his general presence and sense of humor, and his amazing museum of radios, and I have to find a place to send my gear now in lieu of him. But things like that are minor compared to the loss of the man himself and his wealth of knowledge.

I will note that he did get a chance a few months ago to fulfill a lifelong dream of riding in a Beech Model 17 Staggerwing, a classic airplane from days of yore. If I can find a copy of the photo of him standing in front of the plane with a smile on his face a mile wide, I will post it. I imagine he probably has his own now... Forget wings, give me an aircraft, he's certainly saying right now. :)

Shally, we will miss you.

6. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Live Ham Radio to the Fullest

I didn't know Shally, but the story of his enjoyment of his pastime is a reminder that we only have so much time here on the green planet.

He must have enjoyed his little piece of hamdom and obviously felt that it was better in the "good old days." I won't argue that. I do too. Especially, the amateur's creative productivity.

Then, again, how simple were things back when all it took was one tube for a transmitter and a straight key. And, even receiver detectors were simple.

Looking at all of his Collins stuff reminded me of the opportunities I once had to buy many 30L1s and other Collins amps that were oiffered on the West Coast 40M Swap Service. Now, to look at eBay, shucks, nothing there. All gone. Somewhere.

Radios that glow in the dark. Yes, and Shally's shack and many others were kept warm in Winter. And, when a resistor went south, or a tube shorted, or you got a little coffee or a beer in the works, all fixable. Almost plug and play. Not with solid state stuff today.

Radios that glow in the dark are maintainable. Surface mount, microprocessor-based, and software-defined, aren't. You need an electron microscope and a robotic probe to see things. Don't even think about trying to remove something or you'll rip the tiny copper trace path and there's no way to put it back. The look and feel of a real radio can't be replaced with an LCD screen and a mouse. Heck, I can't even find that JPZ-105 Nippon JFET that goes in the cascode RF amp in the front end of my TS-940. Nowhere to be had.

Based on what has been said, he likely was very proud of his collection and anxious to help mentor others. A true hallmark of amateur radio as it used to be. Much like a couple of guys I got to know back in the mid '60s that built or converted surplus gear to do what they wanted and loved to home brew antennas of all shapes and sizes.

RIP, Shally. You enjoyed your hobby immensely. We should all try to do something enjoyable like you did on the radio or with the gear every day. You never know when the sun's going to set for the last time or not rise in the morning.

7. K6OY

K6OY Ham Member QRZ Page

Shally, we will miss you

A true gentleman and always willing to help others. I hope the greyhounds are good up there!

Bruce, K6OY

8. KR6G

KR6G Guest

K6VHP

There are hundreds of hams on the air today, thanks to him and his kind heart. He was great a repairing old radios and amplifiers, and never made a dime of profit as far as I know.

we should all learn to be as kind as he was.

It would be nice for some group to get his call as a club call and let it keep his memory alive.

73 God Bless
    Alex and La Nell
    kr6g ke6lom

9. K6FWT

K6FWT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

73, OM

8 years ago, as a new Ham, I got tired of never knowing where my old Hammarlund Super-Pro was actually receiving. It had already nearly electrocuted me once while I was tinkering w/it, and I finally worked up the nerve to show my ignorance and take it Up The Hill to The Ranch. I pulled into the driveway and felt like I was in a state of grace........... The garage door was open, and floor to ceiling.......boatanchors, tubes, the indescribable smell of solder and ancient electronics!

He stood in the door (it was raining) and I came in and introduced myself. "Dog" came out and sniffed me after I passed muster. I hefted the "Hammer" and its PSU inside onto his workbench that had been specially cleared for my arrival. This was the first of many visits (never enough, though). He de-bugged the old Super-Pro, repaired the PSU that tried to immolate itself and his workbench a day later while he was having a quick lunch. It's still the backbone of my station.

Little things: He taught me patience and respect for the past working w/old "obsolete" gear. Keep one hand in your pocket when poking around. Performing my first alignment under his tutelage (HQ-129x). The "swinging choke" he had in the entry; a sign of his humor. Popping a can of diet cream soda when I'd visit. Splitting a pot of soup at lunch, talking about the days work and that BFO that just wouldn't settle down. Tales of him flying that Ryan and how it'd drop like a rock in a turn unless you were staying on top of it. Calling the HF net tonight on the Swan 350 he aligned and tweaked, tuning the dipole w/the T-network he helped me build...............little things.

He is gone, but still here inside all of us, and some of the gear we use every day. It's a good legacy.

Jim Falls
    KG6FWT

10. KG7PD

KG7PD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm truly sorry to hear that Shally has passed away. He was one of my radio "gurus" during my early ham radio days in the late 60s and early 70s (my hippy days). We spent many an hour working with "glow in the dark" Hammarlund, Hallicrafters, Drake, Johnson, Heath, Swan and homebrew gear those years (I couldn't afford Collins at that time) not to mention the big Ford Galaxy 500 in Hawthorne, CA. He will be missed. May peace be with Shally and his family.

Brian Radabaugh KG7PD
    Seattle, WA

11. AD2AM

For those within driving distance of Eureka, California, there will be a memorial service for Shally at Radio Ranch in Eureka this Sunday, January 18th, 2009.

Those coming from out of town who perhaps cannot afford reasonable accomodations in the area, please contact me, and I will see about getting folks housed overnight if necessary. I can also tell people where in Eureka NOT to stay if they plan on getting a hotel (not that there are particularly bad hotels in Eureka, just that there are some hotels that are crime hotbeds, from DV to theft and worse, which are best avoided). I am good in the QRZ.com callsign lookup for email.

12. AD6DX

AD6DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Shally

Over the last 6 months or so I was just getting to know Shally on 80m in the mornings. What a great guy. I will miss hearing his kind voice of Silken Thunder.

13. KB6OQJ

KB6OQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

'73 Shally

Shally rejuvenated my KWM-2. I enjoyed my conversations with him. He was instantly like an old friend.

I was looking forward to meeting him on the air someday.

Good Bye and God Bless Shally.

-Wayne, KB6OQJ

14. AD2AM

I will post pictures from the memorial service that is tomorrow afternoon as soon as I can process and upload them. It may be a day or two, but I will have them up, for those who are unable to attend but wish they could be there.

15. AD2AM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.