ad: MLSons-1

K6SOJ David "D.W." Thorne

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KE6P, Jan 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE6P

KE6P Ham Member QRZ Page

K6SOJ, David “D.W.” Thorne, 75, passed away peacefully at his home on January 17, 2018. He was in the company of his wife Cheri.

David was born and raised in Orange County, California. He fondly recalled the “Pre-freeway and pre-Disneyland” days. But as the county grew, he felt trapped. He and his wife Nannette fled the city and established “Thorne Camp” in Macdoel in 1988. The first winter they lived in a 16 foot tipi on their property as they saved to build their home. He enjoyed views of Mt. Shasta, Sheep Mountain, and Mt. Hebron from their 80 acre wilderness sanctuary.

David had been involved in emergency, disaster, and humanitarian work, both professionally and as a volunteer, his entire life. He was a graduate of the second EMT class ever offered in California. The majority of his professional background was in hospital and community health as a registered nurse. He has contributed countless hours as a volunteer with The Red Cross, search and rescue, and in emergency communications through amateur radio.

As a child, David enjoyed listening to shortwave radio broadcasts from all over the world. He later earned his amateur radio license KC6HOY in 1989. He soon upgraded his license to General, Advanced, and finally Extra Class in 2000. He also changed his callsign to K6SOJ. The suffix, “SOJ” , stands for “State of Jefferson”.

David was very active with The Amateur Radio Emergency Service and The California Office of Emergency Services for many years. He helped train and coordinate amateur radio operators to be effective during fires and other emergencies. He truly lived the Boy Scout Motto “Be Prepared” and helped others to do the same.

David is survived by his wife Cheri, his daughters Leah and Lydia, and a total of ten grand children and great grand children.

A private service will be held.

Cheri asks that in lieu of flowers, that donations are made in David’s memory to your local animal shelter or rescue organization.

2. KE6P

KE6P Ham Member QRZ Page

I am still working on a more Amateur Radio relevant obituary. It is turning into a mini biography. More to come soon.

David, you are missed.
    KE6P

3. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

4. NE7TS

NE7TS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave , such a loss . safe journey my friend, I will send your call today both voice and cw ...you were a great guy. ne4am

5. NW9T

NW9T Ham Member QRZ Page

Met Dave on the air shortly after I moved to Oregon in the late 90's early 2000's while he was running the Jefferson Noon Net. I enjoyed the group so hung around and later became a regular Net Control Operator for several years. I was just thinking about him so did a search on Google to see if there was anything new he'd been involved with, and came across the notice of his passing. Great Ham... Great Human Being... God Bless... God Speed. 73 my friend... NW9T Sam... formerly KK7UN of Medford, OR

6. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Met Dave when I moved to Shasta County and served as SEC for the Sacramento Valley Section. Dave at the time was EC for Siskiyou County. When I became the Section Manager he replaced me as SEC. During a very large wildland fire we had in Shasta County which destroyed hundreds of structures and rapidly moved miles from the point of origin Dave coordinated a major amateur radio response from both ARES and State OES ACS. As noted he was also founder of what was called the State of Jefferson Noon Net which I occasionally checked in to even after moving to Oregon. RIP OM

KE6P likes this.