K6MB SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K6AER, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
  1. K6AER

K6AER Ham Member QRZ Page

K6MB, John "Jay Hughes passed away Sunday afternoon, November 16 from a sudden stroke. Jay was very active on 20 and 40 meters SSB and was one of the regulars on 14.185 every morning. He lived in Lake Ellsinore, CA.

Jay was an avid DX,er and a friend to all and will be dearly missed on the bands. Cards and condolences can be sent to K6AER and will be forwarded to his sister Maureen.

2. W5LX

W5LX Ham Member QRZ Page

Jay will be missed. He wore his heart on his sleeve and was really one of the "good guys" in ham radio. I don't know anyone who enjoyed the hobby more than Jay.

3. VE7KGE

VE7KGE Ham Member QRZ Page

With sadness

I have met Jay a few times on 75 meters,and although I didnt know him well Jay made me feel at welcome ,Ill always remember him say when someone made a comment without giving his call...."oh its just another drive by" ...Im sure Jay will be monitoring all frequencies now 73 old man. K6MB sk

4. W0ZR

W0ZR Guest

Jay-Bird

I am shocked to learn of Jay's passing. We had many a QSO and it was always a pleasaure. I will miss hearing him on "185" with the gang in the mornings.

Tom,W0ZR

5. ZS5J

ZS5J Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the good guys....

I got the SMS earlier today, very sorry to hear the news. I visited him at his home several times on trips to California. The first time I showed up at his house, he didn't know me, yet he welcomed me and showed me around his town and home, and that was the start of a great friendship. He was one of the good guys, always happy and jovial, and a wonderful friend. He will be sorely missed, and the 20 meter band will be very empty without him. 73 John, ZS5J

6. W7UJ

W7UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Mighty Banana

I will miss Jay's cheerful voice in the mornings on 14.185 with Big Blue humming in the background. I had the pleasure of many many QSO's over the years with Jay. RIP my friend!

Ed W7UJ

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I too QSO'd with Jay, the "Mighty Banana" but on 75m. He was very much the gentleman and will be missed.

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

8. N6WK

N6WK Guest

I also will miss Jay. I enjoyed chatting with him on 20 meters. He often was there with Seymour and the gang.
    You will be missed dearly Jay.

Gordon
    N6WK

9. DL6FBH

DL6FBH Ham Member QRZ Page

R.I.P. JAY-BIRD

What sad news, to hear about Jay´s passing away !
    I had the opportunity, to meet him in person once back in 1992 in L.A. .
    He was a very friendly and entertaining gentleman. Talked to him many times on 20m. Jay, we will all miss you and remember you. I personally remember two of his phrases: "If I can´t fix it, it´s broken!" "I wouldn´t say, that I am the best mechanic in the world, but the other one lives in Japan!"

We miss you ! R.I.P. my friend !

Benny, DL6FBH

10. WQ5P

WQ5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 14.185 programed in my radio. I have spent many mornings listening to the banter on that frequency. I have even learned a few things. Jay and I only talked directly a couple of times, but I will miss his humor and hearing him all over the U.S. while I travel the roads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.